• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jongdnet

Unity Game frameworks and engines that aren't Unity, Cryengine, or UE4?

This topic is 976 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been programming for most of my life, touching on a lot of languages, but mostly focusing on web development. Lately I've been bored, and will have a lot of free time, so I want to finally make a 3d game I've had an idea for, for awhile now. It's nothing too big, but I'm in a somewhat unique situation.

I don't like the Unity style of game development. It's fine, it's great even - for most people, but not for me. I like to code, I like looking at code, and I have some things I want to do that engines like Unity just aren't setup for - they try to do too much without specializing in anything. Now this isn't a topic to debate the merits of Unity, I'm not even saying it's bad - because it isn't, it just isn't for me.

With that said, what I want has been hard for me to find and rather than rambling on about what I plan to do, I think a list of things I'm looking for would be a bit better.

• Mutli-platform support. Not mobile or console, but rather Windows, Linux, and Mac
  • A decent 3d rendering setup. Nothing as low level as OpenGL bindings, but something that lets me access them if need be.
  • OpenGL 3.3, or 4.0 support
  • Ability to run at a decent FPS on lower end hardware. Not necessarily integrated graphics, but lower than a 560 and an I5
  • Ideally a collection of libraries, a framework, or an engine that is almost exclusively coding and not graphical scene management.
  • Not a completely bloated desktop experience, like nwjs and Electron wrapped games would be (>50mB for hello world)
  • Decent networking, or there's a decent networking library in that language that I can work with
  • Just about any language is fine. I'd prefer to stay away from Javascript for the reason listed above, but as long as it meets my other requirements it's probably fine.

I realize I can probably adjust my ideas to work in something like Unity, but this is less about getting a game made and more about having fun and something to do. I'd also like to eventually have something to show from this, which is why I consider OpenGL bindings too low level.

Sadly my first two choices, Cryengine, and UE4, won't work. They just don't run well on lower end hardware. As for my experience - I've worked with a few engines and frameworks out there, such as Unity, various Haxe engines, Monogame, and a few randoms that I can't remember right now. Sadly all of that previous experience is with 2d, so I'm at a loss for 3d frameworks.

Advertisement

Urho3d is written in c++, has bindings for Lua and AngelScript, supports D3d11 and GL, provides 2d, 3d, gui, bullet physics, networking, sound, names path finding with crowds, etc.

http://urho3d.github.io/

Wow, this is amazing. Also found Atomic Game Engine which is a fork of it. Not sure which I want to use. Probably just stick with Urho, but the fact the site hasn't been updated in awhile is a bit concerning.

Now I need to brush up on my C++...

Urho3d is written in c++, has bindings for Lua and AngelScript, supports D3d11 and GL, provides 2d, 3d, gui, bullet physics, networking, sound, names path finding with crowds, etc.

http://urho3d.github.io/

Wow, this is amazing. Also found Atomic Game Engine which is a fork of it. Not sure which I want to use. Probably just stick with Urho, but the fact the site hasn't been updated in awhile is a bit concerning.

Now I need to brush up on my C++...

Urho3D is under active development. Last commit was three hours ago. The site doesn't get update a whole lot, but there is much activity in the repo itself.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!