Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drakon

OpenGL VERY SLOW OpenGL

Drakon    120
OpenGL programs run VERY slow for me. Half-Life runs fine, and I assume it is DirectX (Right?). I tried running OpenGL Doom the other day, and I only got about (guessing) .5 fps, if that. When I try to run some demos from the OpenGL Game Programming book I got, they run about the same speed. I have another computer, and it all works fine on that one, but it's my dad's. I have Windows 2000 and a Voodoo Banshee card on a Prentium (something) computer with 96MB of RAM. Anyone know whats wrong? Oh, that and when I tried the Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo, it gave me an error about OpenGL... Dont remember what it is, and cant find out cause I deleted it. Edited by - Drakon on November 19, 2001 5:40:17 PM

_Death_Claw_    122
Firstly you stated that you have a voodoo based graphics card, i`ve seen some of them work with ogl instead of 3dfx glide. the results where as yours, secondly you are using win2000, a friend of mine uses them on amdk6-2 350 with 128mb of ram and geforce2mx 32mb graphics, and diablo2 still works really slow, i tried unreal tournament on my machine( under win2k): amd duron 600, 256mb of ram, tnt2pro 32mb, and it had problems with 800x600x32 resolution (under win98se 1028x768x32 works smoothly)

but first of all try testing it on another 3dcard or make the progrs run with glide(don`t ask me how - never tried glide)

Maximus    124
Voodoo cards have very bad opengl support, especially the pre-voodoo4/5 cards. Try running opengl through their mini-driver to get some performance out of it.

And there is nothing wrong with opengl on win2k. I get significantly better speed through games (both ogl and d3d) than what I used to get under win9x. UT works fine under win2k on my geforce @ 1024x768x32, runs quite smoothly, moreso than it ever did in win9x.

Shag    122
Are you sure your drivers work properly?

I ask this because there are no official voodoo banshee drivers for W2K.

Try running this little app - it gives you detailed info on your cards capabilities.

http://www.delphi3d.net/download/glinfo.zip

save the report it gives you, and post it here.

I suspect you''re not getting any harware acceleration.

Drakon    120
* GLINFO LOG *

DRIVER INFO
---------------
Vendor : Microsoft Corporation
Renderer : GDI Generic
Version : 1.1.0

OPENGL CAPABILITIES
-----------------------
Supported extensions:
GL_WIN_swap_hint
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_paletted_texture

Max. viewport size : 16384x16384
Max. texture size : 1024x1024

Max. modelview stack depth : 32
Max. projection stack depth : 10
Max. texture stack depth : 10
Max. attribute stack depth : 16
Max. name stack depth : 128

Max. display list nesting : 64
Max. evaluator order : 30
Max. number of lights : 8
Max. clipping planes : 6
Max. pixel map size : 65536

Point size range : 0.500 to 10.000
Point size granularity : 0.125
Line width range : 0.500 to 10.000
Line width granularity : 0.125

Number of auxiliary buffers : 0
Bits of sub-pixel precision : 3

ACCELERATED PIXEL FORMATS
-----------------------------

Shag    122
Null and Void is correct.

The section under ACCELERATED PIXEL FORMATS should list those formats which the card accelerates - in your case none!

Save up for that new card ..

Shag    122
Alternatively, look at http://www.vodoofiles.com - they have some W2K drivers for the banshee, writen by various people - I don''t guarantee they''ll work, and as they say ... use at your own risk!

Ysaneya    1383
> I have Windows 2000 and a Voodoo Banshee card on a Prentium (something) computer with 96MB of RAM. Anyone know whats wrong?

To get hardware acceleration from a Vaudoo, you must put the driver (opengl32.dll) into the executable''s directory.

Y.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
> I have Windows 2000 and a Voodoo Banshee card on a Prentium (something) computer with 96MB of RAM. Anyone know whats wrong?

To get hardware acceleration from a Vaudoo, you must put the driver (opengl32.dll) into the executable''s directory.

Y.

you spelled voodoo wrong

• Similar Content

• By Zaphyk
      I am developing my engine using the OpenGL 3.3 compatibility profile. It runs as expected on my NVIDIA card and on my Intel Card however when I tried it on an AMD setup it ran 3 times worse than on the other setups. Could this be a AMD driver thing or is this probably a problem with my OGL code? Could a different code standard create such bad performance?
    • By Kjell Andersson
      I'm trying to get some legacy OpenGL code to run with a shader pipeline,
      The legacy code uses glVertexPointer(), glColorPointer(), glNormalPointer() and glTexCoordPointer() to supply the vertex information.
      I know that it should be using setVertexAttribPointer() etc to clearly define the layout but that is not an option right now since the legacy code can't be modified to that extent.
      I've got a version 330 vertex shader to somewhat work:
      #version 330 uniform mat4 osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix; uniform mat4 osg_ModelViewMatrix; layout(location = 0) in vec4 Vertex; layout(location = 2) in vec4 Normal; // Velocity layout(location = 3) in vec3 TexCoord; // TODO: is this the right layout location? out VertexData { vec4 color; vec3 velocity; float size; } VertexOut; void main(void) { vec4 p0 = Vertex; vec4 p1 = Vertex + vec4(Normal.x, Normal.y, Normal.z, 0.0f); vec3 velocity = (osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * p1 - osg_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * p0).xyz; VertexOut.velocity = velocity; VertexOut.size = TexCoord.y; gl_Position = osg_ModelViewMatrix * Vertex; } What works is the Vertex and Normal information that the legacy C++ OpenGL code seem to provide in layout location 0 and 2. This is fine.
      What I'm not getting to work is the TexCoord information that is supplied by a glTexCoordPointer() call in C++.
      Question:
      What layout location is the old standard pipeline using for glTexCoordPointer()? Or is this undefined?

Side note: I'm trying to get an OpenSceneGraph 3.4.0 particle system to use custom vertex, geometry and fragment shaders for rendering the particles.
    • By markshaw001
      Hi i am new to this forum  i wanted to ask for help from all of you i want to generate real time terrain using a 32 bit heightmap i am good at c++ and have started learning Opengl as i am very interested in making landscapes in opengl i have looked around the internet for help about this topic but i am not getting the hang of the concepts and what they are doing can some here suggests me some good resources for making terrain engine please for example like tutorials,books etc so that i can understand the whole concept of terrain generation.

• By KarimIO
      Hey guys. I'm trying to get my application to work on my Nvidia GTX 970 desktop. It currently works on my Intel HD 3000 laptop, but on the desktop, every bind textures specifically from framebuffers, I get half a second of lag. This is done 4 times as I have three RGBA textures and one depth 32F buffer. I tried to use debugging software for the first time - RenderDoc only shows SwapBuffers() and no OGL calls, while Nvidia Nsight crashes upon execution, so neither are helpful. Without binding it runs regularly. This does not happen with non-framebuffer binds.
      GLFramebuffer::GLFramebuffer(FramebufferCreateInfo createInfo) { glGenFramebuffers(1, &fbo); glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo); textures = new GLuint[createInfo.numColorTargets]; glGenTextures(createInfo.numColorTargets, textures); GLenum *DrawBuffers = new GLenum[createInfo.numColorTargets]; for (uint32_t i = 0; i < createInfo.numColorTargets; i++) { glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[i]); GLint internalFormat; GLenum format; TranslateFormats(createInfo.colorFormats[i], format, internalFormat); // returns GL_RGBA and GL_RGBA glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, internalFormat, createInfo.width, createInfo.height, 0, format, GL_FLOAT, 0); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); DrawBuffers[i] = GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i; glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0); glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i, textures[i], 0); } if (createInfo.depthFormat != FORMAT_DEPTH_NONE) { GLenum depthFormat; switch (createInfo.depthFormat) { case FORMAT_DEPTH_16: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_24: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_32: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_24_STENCIL_8: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8; break; case FORMAT_DEPTH_32_STENCIL_8: depthFormat = GL_DEPTH32F_STENCIL8; break; } glGenTextures(1, &depthrenderbuffer); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthrenderbuffer); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, depthFormat, createInfo.width, createInfo.height, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, 0); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0); glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, depthrenderbuffer, 0); } if (createInfo.numColorTargets > 0) glDrawBuffers(createInfo.numColorTargets, DrawBuffers); else glDrawBuffer(GL_NONE); if (glCheckFramebufferStatus(GL_FRAMEBUFFER) != GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE) std::cout << "Framebuffer Incomplete\n"; glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0); width = createInfo.width; height = createInfo.height; } // ... // FBO Creation FramebufferCreateInfo gbufferCI; gbufferCI.colorFormats = gbufferCFs.data(); gbufferCI.depthFormat = FORMAT_DEPTH_32; gbufferCI.numColorTargets = gbufferCFs.size(); gbufferCI.width = engine.settings.resolutionX; gbufferCI.height = engine.settings.resolutionY; gbufferCI.renderPass = nullptr; gbuffer = graphicsWrapper->CreateFramebuffer(gbufferCI); // Bind glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo); // Draw here... // Bind to textures glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE1); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[1]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE2); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[2]); glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE3); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthrenderbuffer); Here is an extract of my code. I can't think of anything else to include. I've really been butting my head into a wall trying to think of a reason but I can think of none and all my research yields nothing. Thanks in advance!
    • By Adrianensis
      Hi everyone, I've shared my 2D Game Engine source code. It's the result of 4 years working on it (and I still continue improving features ) and I want to share with the community. You can see some videos on youtube and some demo gifs on my twitter account.
      This Engine has been developed as End-of-Degree Project and it is coded in Javascript, WebGL and GLSL. The engine is written from scratch.
      This is not a professional engine but it's for learning purposes, so anyone can review the code an learn basis about graphics, physics or game engine architecture. Source code on this GitHub repository.
      I'm available for a good conversation about Game Engine / Graphics Programming
  • Popular Now