VERY SLOW OpenGL

Started by
10 comments, last by Drakon 22 years, 4 months ago
OpenGL programs run VERY slow for me. Half-Life runs fine, and I assume it is DirectX (Right?). I tried running OpenGL Doom the other day, and I only got about (guessing) .5 fps, if that. When I try to run some demos from the OpenGL Game Programming book I got, they run about the same speed. I have another computer, and it all works fine on that one, but it's my dad's. I have Windows 2000 and a Voodoo Banshee card on a Prentium (something) computer with 96MB of RAM. Anyone know whats wrong? Oh, that and when I tried the Return to Castle Wolfenstein demo, it gave me an error about OpenGL... Dont remember what it is, and cant find out cause I deleted it. Edited by - Drakon on November 19, 2001 5:40:17 PM
"Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!"
Advertisement
Firstly you stated that you have a voodoo based graphics card, i`ve seen some of them work with ogl instead of 3dfx glide. the results where as yours, secondly you are using win2000, a friend of mine uses them on amdk6-2 350 with 128mb of ram and geforce2mx 32mb graphics, and diablo2 still works really slow, i tried unreal tournament on my machine( under win2k): amd duron 600, 256mb of ram, tnt2pro 32mb, and it had problems with 800x600x32 resolution (under win98se 1028x768x32 works smoothly)

but first of all try testing it on another 3dcard or make the progrs run with glide(don`t ask me how - never tried glide)
Voodoo cards have very bad opengl support, especially the pre-voodoo4/5 cards. Try running opengl through their mini-driver to get some performance out of it.

And there is nothing wrong with opengl on win2k. I get significantly better speed through games (both ogl and d3d) than what I used to get under win9x. UT works fine under win2k on my geforce @ 1024x768x32, runs quite smoothly, moreso than it ever did in win9x.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Are you sure your drivers work properly?

I ask this because there are no official voodoo banshee drivers for W2K.

Try running this little app - it gives you detailed info on your cards capabilities.

http://www.delphi3d.net/download/glinfo.zip

save the report it gives you, and post it here.

I suspect you''re not getting any harware acceleration.
* GLINFO LOG *

DRIVER INFO
---------------
Vendor : Microsoft Corporation
Renderer : GDI Generic
Version : 1.1.0

OPENGL CAPABILITIES
-----------------------
Supported extensions:
GL_WIN_swap_hint
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_paletted_texture

Max. viewport size : 16384x16384
Max. texture size : 1024x1024

Max. modelview stack depth : 32
Max. projection stack depth : 10
Max. texture stack depth : 10
Max. attribute stack depth : 16
Max. name stack depth : 128

Max. display list nesting : 64
Max. evaluator order : 30
Max. number of lights : 8
Max. clipping planes : 6
Max. pixel map size : 65536

Point size range : 0.500 to 10.000
Point size granularity : 0.125
Line width range : 0.500 to 10.000
Line width granularity : 0.125

Number of auxiliary buffers : 0
Bits of sub-pixel precision : 3

ACCELERATED PIXEL FORMATS
-----------------------------
Drakon, that''s a log from the software renderer. GDI Generic ? An upgrade of your video card is the easiest why around that problem. Not to be insulting, but really, your card has horrible OpenGL support.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Null and Void is correct.

The section under ACCELERATED PIXEL FORMATS should list those formats which the card accelerates - in your case none!

Save up for that new card ..
Alternatively, look at http://www.vodoofiles.com - they have some W2K drivers for the banshee, writen by various people - I don''t guarantee they''ll work, and as they say ... use at your own risk!
Well, christmas is coming up.
> I have Windows 2000 and a Voodoo Banshee card on a Prentium (something) computer with 96MB of RAM. Anyone know whats wrong?

To get hardware acceleration from a Vaudoo, you must put the driver (opengl32.dll) into the executable''s directory.

Y.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement