Typing skills

Started by
17 comments, last by Anri 8 years ago

i'm a two finger typist, at about 60-70 wpm.

the compiler will find all your syntax errors for you, but not typos that still compile.

most code changes are as buster2000 describes, one file, one line of code, a few characters.

for new code, i don't touch the editor until the code is already in my head (IE i know what to type in).

then i use a code gen with a c++ shorthand macro progaming syntax for code entry. its designed to reduce keystrokes. supports most c++ keywords with 1 or 2 keystroke shorthand keywords. adds punctuation for you, etc. reduces keystrokes by about 50% overall i'd guess. and zero impact on dev time, with translation speeds of 200K lines per second.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

I think 30 mistakes per minute is good.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

then i use a code gen with a c++ shorthand macro progaming syntax for code entry.

Okay, what is the code generator and how are the macros used (I use Visual C++)?

Thank you,

Josheir

30? With the right tools we could easily double that.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Okay, what is the code generator and how are the macros used (I use Visual C++)?

http://www.gamedev.net/gallery/image/4227-cscript-code-generator/

in-house tool.

been considering releasing it for free. care to give it a try?

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

that 60 wpm is after i fix the 30 typos per minute! <g>

god- if o could typep typo free, id probay be at 90 wpm.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

First time I hear that speed of typing is a requirement. What's wrong with this world, I can't believe I'm reading this. I'm not some friggin WW2 typewriter veteran or some secretary of Hitler, it's 21th stupid century, you have copy/paste and a compiler that is made only to bark at you for every stupid little thing, why on hell would this be a requirement. If I apply for a job and they reject me because of my typewriting speed, I'm gonna become a pole dancer. :angry:

Sometimes, I type like the Flash. Usually at the very early stages of a project, when I "know" exactly what the code needs to look like. Sometimes my roommate hears me from his room and is like "holy crap".

But most of the time it's usually more like 10 words per minute. A reasonably fast typist would be over 100 words per minute - I know I can break 200 words per minute if I already know exactly what I'm going to type (like I do in making this post). But I spend most of my time at about 10 words per minute.

So you can be a slow typist and still be a pretty agile programmer.

There are three tests you must pass, first of which is with the Colonial marines in a frigate mess hall...

...then its a trip to a Federation starship, wait till everyone on the bridge has gone to bed, locked the doors and try your lips at some serious hacking...

...and finally, you travel back in time to 1986, san francisco...

...when your interviewer looks like that at the computer screen...you know you landed the gig. :D

Seriously. I have to this date never worked as a programmer, but I can type fast. Its really a case of taking your time and letting your fingers do the work - something to do with muscle-memory? I find a previous hobby of writing screenplays(just for fun!) to have helped immensely as that gave me a lot of practice at typing.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement