Tire Friction Curves

Started by
7 comments, last by adriansnetlis 7 years, 12 months ago

Hello!

I am looking for some example tires friction curves for different tires in different situations.

It'd be great to find out it for several types of materials(e.g. concrete, asphalt, tarmac, gravel, mud, snow etc - as much as possible) as well as different conditions(e.g. air humidity(not that important), surface wetness, temperature(also not that important, but may be important in combination with surface wetness etc - as much as possible).

I also need it for several tires by theirselves: different grips(treads), different sizes and volumes, different materials etc.

It would be great if we could do some sort of compilation here. Once I find out how, I'll also start to compile data and post it here. I will try to test any tires that are aviable to me if I get(or make) the right equipment.

You can post results in any way, for example:

• A visual curve
  • A pacejka value set (b0, b1, b2, b3, b4...)
  • A simplified pacejka set (B, C, D and E values)
  • A table(in case if it checks for at least 4 slip values)
  • A 3D chart(can be used as curve, but combining both longitudal and laterial).

It's important to tell the data for both - longitudal and laterial axis, it'd be even better if aligning momentum data would be given aswell.

I hope that any of you have chance to get this data so that all of us can access some example information and learn from it. If you have any good data, please, share it here.

Note: If you have bought the data from tire manufacturer, first make sure that the manufacturer allows for posting their intelectual property online like this. However, there can't be any obstacles of posting stuff in case if you have done the tests.

Thanks! :)

Advertisement

Here is a good example:

http://white-smoke.wikifoundry.com/page/Tyre+curve+fitting+and+validation

Includes:

- Real data chart in 2D and 3D

- Pacekja coefficients for lateral curve based on the real data.

OK! This is great. I am actually gone try to plug it in my game:)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275889941_Using_Objective_Vehicle-Handling_Metrics_for_Tire_Performance_Evaluation_and_Selection

- I found some good examples here. It doesn't include longitudal curves, but it has lateral curves for 5 different tires :)

for a correct physics simulation, what you need is Ks and Kd for specific tire compounds vs specific surfaces:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/friction-coefficients-d_778.html

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Hm... I don't understand - what's Ks and Kd?

OK! Now I've got a question like this:

A 2007 BMW M3 Coupe E92 car has got 245/40ZR18 in the front and 265/40ZR18 tires on the rear. Could you tell me, please, which of those tires(assuming the stock tires) have higher stiffness, higher friction coefficient, which has more asymptote fall, which has sharper curve and which's friction peak is reached at lower slip angle? I want to find out that data, but I can't find it anywhere.

That information is most likely not available. The coefficients that define a real tire are heavily protected intelectual data. Some tire manufacturers sell or provide the details of specific tires as part of their engineering services (example).

You may estimate the actual tire performance based on the available specifications (i.e. max acceleration, braking distance, handling on cornering...).

Hm, yeah... It'd take some time, but could be possible. First, though, I must create better drivetrain velocity model. However, can you tell me one thing: what way does the friction curves differ, for example, between the front and rear tires in that BMW? Which one is propably more fluid? Which has higher peak? It'd be great if I knew such basic things, but it's not aviable.

It'd be also great if I had a car that I could use for tests...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement