Where can I hire game writers and designers ?

Started by
11 comments, last by Envy123 7 years, 10 months ago
Hi !

I am a programmer and I am about to start developing my first game. I have the basic idea for the game.

Now, I want to hire a game writer, but not on a freelance platform, on a website specialized for game designers and/or writers because tge payment will be deferred. For example, I am looking for 3D artists on BlenderArtists forum.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

have you tried jobs.gamastura.com?

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This is not a Game Design question. Why does everybody think everything always has to be posted in Game Design?
Sheesh!
Moving it to Production/Management.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Now, I want to hire a game writer, but not on a freelance platform, on a website specialized for game designers and/or writers because tge payment will be deferred. For example, I am looking for 3D artists on BlenderArtists forum.

You want to "hire" someone, but payment will be "deferred." Great. That means you want to hire an amateur.
Because professionals don't work on spec. Your best bet is the Classifieds section here on GameDev. I don't know where else to find suckers I mean people willing to work on spec.

You want to "hire" someone, but payment will be "deferred." Great. That means you want to hire an amateur.Because professionals don't work on spec. Your best bet is the Classifieds section here on GameDev. I don't know where else to find suckers I mean people willing to work on spec.

And where can I find professional ones other than freelance websites ?

Professional literally means they do it for a living, and if they do it for a living, then that means they want to be paid week-to-week (or whatever their contract says) to feed their families. Professionals almost never work on promises of payments, because promises of payments almost never actually result in a finished game.

They usually have their own websites, too, so you can find them on their websites.

You can definitely find inexperienced beginners who'd work for free, or for a promise of payment, but their quality is very hit and miss, and you'll likely find that even if they do great work, that since they aren't being paid, they often end up leaving (when ""life interferes"") halfway through the project, and the next artist you get might not be able to mimic the style of the first artist, giving your game a clumsy mixture of different styles, or else forcing you to scrap all the art you already had. This is really common when you aren't paying real money (promises aren't real money).

I am a programmer and I am about to start developing my first game. I have the basic idea for the game.

You might be jumping the gun a little.

If you are new to game development, and never released a commercial project before, and don't have the money to pay upfront, the "correct" way to go about it (in my opinion) is to work on your game yourself without artists and writers, until you actually have put in enough labor yourself that it proves to other people that their labor won't be wasted on a random person with an idea (of which there are a hundred thousand or more on the internet).

The vast majority of hobbyist/indie projects never make it to completion. So you have to prove yours will, by putting in enough work that the game is already playable before recruiting others.

So you're willing to pay after all, and not "defer" payment?

Yeah I thought about making a playable demo then launch a crowdfunding campaign

You'd need a good amount of followers and a great deal of content already to do a successful crowdfunding campaign.

Except, that's deferred payment...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement