programming language for android.....

Started by
21 comments, last by frob 8 years ago

If i were you what language and where i will start?

Everything has a learning curve. Some learning curves are sharper, more difficult to learn, than others.

Learning a programming language is hard.

Learning to make games is hard, even if you already know a programming language.

Learning to program on mobile devices is hard, even if you know how to program on a PC already.

My recommendation is that you simplify.

Learn to program on your main computer first. Write programs on your computer for your computer. Start with "Hello, World!" then guess-the-number, then perhaps a simple non-graphical tic-tac-toe.

Advertisement

Currently i am using only java with eclipse IDE, My GL takes a whopping 5 minutes to render (no exaggerations), AND that's a BIG con

Is this in the emulator or on a real device?

Real device

thanks for the response....

1. actually i just started to learn android studio, and i dont know if its possible to make a games in android studio.

2. and right now i still don't know where to start to learn how to make a games.

3. what language do i need to study.?

4. as you've said we are in fast moving technology and I can't decide if i will study native language like Obj-C and C++ because I'm worried that maybe this language will no longer exist in the next decade.

5. If i were you what language and where i will start?

thanks again.....

1. Android studio is an IDE, you will still need an Engine if you want to start coding games fast. Gamemaker, Unity and Unreal4 are the most popular ones you could start with

2. If you choose Unity, good beginners tutorial comes with it

3. If you choose Unity then you need to learn C#

4. You can't live with that kind of philosophy otherwise you will end up not learning anything. Most languages improve on functionality with time, but the basics will be the same. No learning is a waste. C++ has been around for 30 years and still going strong. If you learn Object-C it will never be a waste

5. Depends on your decisions. If you want to start gradually as frob suggests, then start with C# (or Java) on desktop with basic coding and gradually increase the complexity. You could do some googling, there are many good tutorials online

On the other hand if you want to jump straight in to making games you can start with either Unity or Gamemaker. But you still need to learn C# if you choose C#

If you feel overloaded with information, You could ask yourself: whats my target? how much time have I got for learning? do I want to be a good programmer or do I just want to make games quick? If its the first, follow frob's advice until you are good enough to start making games with Unity. If you decide on the latter you could choose Gamemaker as it has the least steep learning curve

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I can't decide if i will study native language like Obj-C and C++ because I'm worried that maybe this language will no longer exist in the next decade.

Actually your thinking is backwards.
C++ has possibly been around longer than you have been alive (as for me it is only 1 year younger) and will be here long after you are dead.
If you are planning on programming in 10 years, you should be focusing on C++, as it is the only language guaranteed to be here a decade from now.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

thanks for the response....

actually i just started to learn android studio, and i dont know if its possible to make a games in android studio.

and right now i still don't know where to start to learn how to make a games.

what language do i need to study.?

as you've said we are in fast moving technology and I can't decide if i will study native language like Obj-C and C++ because I'm worried that maybe this language will no longer exist in the next decade.

If i were you what language and where i will start?

thanks again.....

Of all the languages used in games now the one that will almost certainly be around in 10 years is C++. It's the most widely used language in games, it's been around now for decades, and it generally offers the best combination of flexibility and performance. It's also supported on every single platform there is. If you can only learn one language for games, this is it.

But you're a beginner, so this is a different question and we'd need to know more about you and what you plan to do to tell you what language you should tackle first. Honestly if you're just starting and want to learn to make games, the last platform I'd recommend is Android. Working on Android is generally a pain in the a** and suitable mostly to masochists. I'd suggest you start making games on your PC of choice (Windows, Mac, Linux), or if you really want to do something on mobile I'd recommend iOS.

I can't decide if i will study native language like Obj-C and C++ because I'm worried that maybe this language will no longer exist in the next decade.

Actually your thinking is backwards.
C++ has possibly been around longer than you have been alive (as for me it is only 1 year younger) and will be here long after you are dead.
If you are planning on programming in 10 years, you should be focusing on C++, as it is the only language guaranteed to be here a decade from now.

L. Spiro

Just because C++ has been around for a long time doesn't guarantee that it will be around forever. Just about every survey I can find shows that C++ usage has been declining for years.
I don't want to start another language holy war as I am a C++ coder myself and well aware of its merits and well aware that the language will most likely be around in 10 years time but, it is already getting harder to find C++ development jobs outside of a few niche fields.

Just because C++ has been around for a long time doesn't guarantee that it will be around forever. Just about every survey I can find shows that C++ usage has been declining for years.

Other languages are almost always written in C or C++. So whilst C++ popularity may be declining (which it honestly isn't), it doesn't mean the technology is going away... ever.

Yes, it may not be cool. I remember the day when people told me that C and C++ was already obsoleted by Java 1.5... Haha did I have the last laugh ;)

The fact that C and C++ both have hundreds of compilers available to them whereas languages such as Java and C# have only a few does speak very highly for how critical C and C++ is for software development and how much they are "the" standard technology that all others are based upon.

For a beginner, it may not be relevant but for any technology have a look at its dependencies, such as what the runtime requires, what the compiler requires etc... This will almost always be C or C++ but also gives you a good idea of the lifespan of the language.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Just about every survey I can find shows that C++ usage has been declining for years.

Do you have any references to those surveys?

I'm interested to know if they compare it in absolute or relative numbers.

With so many "new" languages and frameworks being invented for many reasons, I don't doubt C++ is declining as a percentage of total development done.

But at the same time, programming in general is increasing a lot, so I also suspect the number of C++ projects in absolute numbers are actually increasing, and not decreasing.

And as others have said, C++ is still the language in existance today that is most likely to be around in 10, 20 and possibly 100 years (unless AI programmers have taken over by then, but even then, they'll probably still maintain a few C++ projects..)

Learn to program on your main computer first. Write programs on your computer for your computer. Start with "Hello, World!" then guess-the-number, then perhaps a simple non-graphical tic-tac-toe.

good day...

sir actually i already create guess the number game in android studio, i study the logic then i code it from scratch and its working fine.

but now i want to learn to make simple basic game like, snake, tetris, and some 2d games.

but i dont know if i can make it in android studio.

But you're a beginner, so this is a different question and we'd need to know more about you and what you plan to do to tell you what language you should tackle first.

Good Day!

Sir Actually i know some basic syntax of C++, and java also. and right now I'm studying java.

My target is games for android devices. I watch video in youtube that using libGdx, you can create games in multiple platform.

Do you have any references to those surveys?

http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/c++.do?

http://pypl.github.io/PYPL.html

http://lang-index.sourceforge.net

Github does show a slight improvement:
https://github.com/blog/2047-language-trends-on-github

And as others have said, C++ is still the language in existance today that is most likely to be around in 10, 20 and possibly 100 years (unless AI programmers have taken over by then, but even then, they'll probably still maintain a few C++ projects..)

I'm not really arguing that C++ won't still be around just that the demand for C++ programmers won't be very high. Fortran, Cobol and Assembly are still around and have been around for longer than C++ but, the demand for developers using these languages is very small.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement