Mobile interactivity far beyond desktop

Started by
0 comments, last by frob 8 years ago

I wonder is there there plans for devices to have interactivity beyond what desktops can do without significant add-on wireless devices? You could could imagine play a fantasy game and actually use the device as the sword- physical space is less of a restriction, projection would solve the display limitations. Do any games attempt to do that now? I believe shake and tilt and turn and gps-based is about the only significant interactivity advantage and of course considerable disadvantages in precision.

Advertisement

It has been done many times with accessories. Do you still consider the XBox Kinect an accessory? What about Wii controllers? The Move I see as an accessory, but the others not as much. Each has been used as you described.

Without separate accessories, you mentioned phones and tablets with motion sensors, compasses, and GPS. I just happened to replay LastFish which is tilt play. Tilt is not universal on all mobile devices so it complicates games implementing them. Many games have used those sensors as a game control mechanic, but typically need to provide alternates if you want them.

There are also several VR games and systems dating back to the arcade golden age, ranging from expensive dedicated 3D hardware to Google Cardboard and their cheap hardware addon. These are devices that have interactivity, whether you consider them accessories or significant add-ons is up to you.

There have also been games involving webcams, although most of those rose in the late 1990s and died out in the early 2000s. Given a good background they would detect hand gestures for control. Unfortunately many did not consider the full human range of skin tones and worked only for light-skinned people with dark backgrounds. Google still finds a good number of these.

There have been quite a few game experiments where phones and mobile devices are used as controllers for the PC game.

If you're looking for a different take, you need to consider how the computer will get the input. Sound-based input sometimes works, but speakers are often of terrible quality and trying to filter audio in noisy devices can be difficult.

Whatever path you are considering, the answer lies in how the computer records the input. Tilt and force sensors in a phone or controller, webcams, voice control, or cameras with room-scanning depth probes as done by Kinect. Whatever it is, something needs to get the physical input into the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement