Selective Quote feature removed?

Started by
22 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 7 years, 8 months ago

I can't seem to find the "Selective Quote" feature when viewing threads/posts.

Is the removal intended? I quite liked it!

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement
Probably related to the gamedev5.net domain:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/677858-page-loading-slowly-due-to-unreachable-banner-graphic/?view=findpost&p=5286480

I don’t see gamedev5.net/squote.js (or any resource from gamedev5.net) being requested anymore as well.

I liked selective quote :( One of the bright spots in this new forum software.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

It looked to me like we got several new features, and we also lost some. Several visual styles changed slightly. Selective quote went away, and the editor doesn't handled raw mode as nicely any more. Also as was noted on here a few days back, marking a user as a spammer didn't remove spam in some sections of the site, which has been broken on updates before. The top users button is gone.

Some of the super-secret moderation tools look a little more fancy. The editor doesn't eat as many of my formatted posts. Posting feels easier on my tablet, but I cannot place exactly why. There have been some improvements.

The behind-the-scenes people tend to be quiet about software updates, normally happening invisibly to us blissfully-ignorant users. I imagine the problems of transforming the stock IPS system into our heavily modified system is keeping the green-labeled people rather busy.

But Why remove "selective quote"?

Why remove what has worked so well? Whats the rational behind this?

So to get around this you have to select a whole post and manually delete irrelevant stuff, what good does that achieve?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Selective quote was an addition beyond the built-in system. It is not a native part of ip.board software.

I don't know if gd.net has used a mod for it which is temporarily broken or if it is custom maintained by the folks in green, but either way, it was likely broken with the latest software updates.

But Why remove "selective quote"?

Why remove what has worked so well? Whats the rational behind this?

So to get around this you have to select a whole post and manually delete irrelevant stuff, what good does that achieve?

This is what I tried when I noticed the feature gone, except I couldnt figure out how to remove a quote within the quote (as it was at top of the quote... everything I tried just broke the formatting in one way or another)

Definitely want this back, its much more important than the basic "quote" feature IMO.

o3o

The top users button is gone.

Funny enough, the URL still works. The numbers are still accurate, the banner ads are gone and the fonts are changed, but everything else seems to work like they used to. The search even works still: https://www.gamedev.net/sm/

I'm sorry about any spelling or grammar mistakes or any undue brevity, as I'm most likely typing on my phone

"Hell, there's more evidence that we are just living in a frequency wave that flows in harmonic balance creating the universe and all its existence." ~ GDchat

I miss selective quote too :(

would be awesome if it could come back

I want my selective quote back.

How is this thread not on page 10 by now?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement