Sign in to follow this  
CGEngine

DX12 GetCopyableFootprints question

Hi,

I was looking at ID3D12Device::GetCopyableFootprints and d3dx12.h, and I'm trying to figure out with does GetCopyableFootprints has separate output arguments for the number of rows and the size of each row in bytes since those values are apparently already available in the D3D12_PLACED_SUBRESOURCE_FOOTPRINT array also returned by the function.

Is there any case when D3D12_SUBRESOURCE_FOOTPRINT::Height might be different than pNumRows and D3D12_SUBRESOURCE_FOOTPRINT::RowPitch is different than pRowSizeInBytes for each subresource?

Also GetCopyableFootprints takes BaseOffset as argument and then D3D12_PLACED_SUBRESOURCE_FOOTPRINT has a member called Offset that seems to be a simple copy of the argument. Again are there cases when it might be different?

Lastly:

inline void MemcpySubresource(
    _In_ const D3D12_MEMCPY_DEST* pDest,
    _In_ const D3D12_SUBRESOURCE_DATA* pSrc,
    SIZE_T RowSizeInBytes,
    UINT NumRows,
    UINT NumSlices)
{
    for (UINT z = 0; z < NumSlices; ++z)
    {
        BYTE* pDestSlice = reinterpret_cast<BYTE*>(pDest->pData) + pDest->SlicePitch * z;
        const BYTE* pSrcSlice = reinterpret_cast<const BYTE*>(pSrc->pData) + pSrc->SlicePitch * z;
        for (UINT y = 0; y < NumRows; ++y)
        {
            memcpy(pDestSlice + pDest->RowPitch * y,
                   pSrcSlice + pSrc->RowPitch * y,
                   RowSizeInBytes);
        }
    }
}

This function in some places multiplies by pDest->RowPitch but copies RowSizeInBytes bytes which makes it look like they might be different but I'm not sure why.

And if they're different why doesn't GetCopyableFootprints also return a value like SliceSizeInBytes? Can't it also be different than pDest->SlicePitch?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Can a moderator move this to DirectX and XNA section? Sorry

Edited by CGEngine

just wanted to say thanks for the explanation Jesse, i've been using GetCopyableFootprints but wasn't able to figure out why the result for a 150x150 image, 4 bytes per pixel was 115,032, rather than 115,200 which is what i had figured it would be. It's because the last row doesn't have to be 256 byte aligned like the other rows!

Kinda wish the MSDN documentation for methods would explain more often the process that is used to get the results. Most of the time only the input and output of a method are explained.

Edited by iedoc

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By DejayHextrix
      Hi, New here. 
      I need some help. My fiance and I like to play this mobile game online that goes by real time. Her and I are always working but when we have free time we like to play this game. We don't always got time throughout the day to Queue Buildings, troops, Upgrades....etc.... 
      I was told to look into DLL Injection and OpenGL/DirectX Hooking. Is this true? Is this what I need to learn? 
      How do I read the Android files, or modify the files, or get the in-game tags/variables for the game I want? 
      Any assistance on this would be most appreciated. I been everywhere and seems no one knows or is to lazy to help me out. It would be nice to have assistance for once. I don't know what I need to learn. 
      So links of topics I need to learn within the comment section would be SOOOOO.....Helpful. Anything to just get me started. 
      Thanks, 
      Dejay Hextrix 
    • By HD86
      As far as I know, the size of XMMATRIX must be 64 bytes, which is way too big to be returned by a function. However, DirectXMath functions do return this struct. I suppose this has something to do with the SIMD optimization. Should I return this huge struct from my own functions or should I pass it by a reference or pointer?
      This question will look silly to you if you know how SIMD works, but I don't.
    • By lubbe75
      I am looking for some example projects and tutorials using sharpDX, in particular DX12 examples using sharpDX. I have only found a few. Among them the porting of Microsoft's D3D12 Hello World examples (https://github.com/RobyDX/SharpDX_D3D12HelloWorld), and Johan Falk's tutorials (http://www.johanfalk.eu/).
      For instance, I would like to see an example how to use multisampling, and debugging using sharpDX DX12.
      Let me know if you have any useful examples.
      Thanks!
    • By lubbe75
      I'm writing a 3D engine using SharpDX and DX12. It takes a handle to a System.Windows.Forms.Control for drawing onto. This handle is used when creating the swapchain (it's set as the OutputHandle in the SwapChainDescription). 
      After rendering I want to give up this control to another renderer (for instance a GDI renderer), so I dispose various objects, among them the swapchain. However, no other renderer seem to be able to draw on this control after my DX12 renderer has used it. I see no exceptions or strange behaviour when debugging the other renderers trying to draw, except that nothing gets drawn to the area. If I then switch back to my DX12 renderer it can still draw to the control, but no other renderers seem to be able to. If I don't use my DX12 renderer, then I am able to switch between other renderers with no problem. My DX12 renderer is clearly messing up something in the control somehow, but what could I be doing wrong with just SharpDX calls? I read a tip about not disposing when in fullscreen mode, but I don't use fullscreen so it can't be that.
      Anyway, my question is, how do I properly release this handle to my control so that others can draw to it later? Disposing things doesn't seem to be enough.
    • By Tubby94
      I'm currently learning how to store multiple objects in a single vertex buffer for efficiency reasons. So far I have a cube and pyramid rendered using ID3D12GraphicsCommandList::DrawIndexedInstanced; but when the screen is drawn, I can't see the pyramid because it is drawn inside the cube. I'm told to "Use the world transformation matrix so that the box and pyramid are disjoint in world space".

Can anyone give insight on how this is accomplished? 

First I init the verts in Local Space
      std::array<VPosData, 13> vertices =     {         //Cube         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, +1.0f, -1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(+1.0f, +1.0f, -1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(+1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, -1.0f, +1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, +1.0f, +1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(+1.0f, +1.0f, +1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(+1.0f, -1.0f, +1.0f) }),         //Pyramid         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(-1.0f, -1.0f, +1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(+1.0f, -1.0f, -1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(+1.0f, -1.0f, +1.0f) }),         VPosData({ XMFLOAT3(0.0f,  +1.0f, 0.0f) }) } Then  data is stored into a container so sub meshes can be drawn individually
      SubmeshGeometry submesh; submesh.IndexCount = (UINT)indices.size(); submesh.StartIndexLocation = 0; submesh.BaseVertexLocation = 0; SubmeshGeometry pyramid; pyramid.IndexCount = (UINT)indices.size(); pyramid.StartIndexLocation = 36; pyramid.BaseVertexLocation = 8; mBoxGeo->DrawArgs["box"] = submesh; mBoxGeo->DrawArgs["pyramid"] = pyramid;  
      Objects are drawn
      mCommandList->DrawIndexedInstanced( mBoxGeo->DrawArgs["box"].IndexCount, 1, 0, 0, 0); mCommandList->DrawIndexedInstanced( mBoxGeo->DrawArgs["pyramid"].IndexCount, 1, 36, 8, 0);  
      Vertex Shader

cbuffer cbPerObject : register(b0) { float4x4 gWorldViewProj; }; struct VertexIn { float3 PosL : POSITION; float4 Color : COLOR; }; struct VertexOut { float4 PosH : SV_POSITION; float4 Color : COLOR; }; VertexOut VS(VertexIn vin) { VertexOut vout; // Transform to homogeneous clip space. vout.PosH = mul(float4(vin.PosL, 1.0f), gWorldViewProj); // Just pass vertex color into the pixel shader. vout.Color = vin.Color; return vout; } float4 PS(VertexOut pin) : SV_Target { return pin.Color; }  

• Popular Now