Sign in to follow this  
Vanguard67

Help Beginning

I'm a beginning computer science major and now have a decent grasp of the basics of programming (I'll clearly learn a lot over the coming months though). I'm not yet sure where this major will take me and I want to see if game development is an avenue I may be interested in. I'm not really sure where to get started to even get my feet a little bit wet. Should I get Unity? Are there really good beginner tutorials for people like me? Help would be appreciated.

I do things the other way around. I have a CS degree, and work in the technical/scientific software as regular job.

Games are attractive to me, since they are fun and complicated pieces of software. They contain algorithmic pieces, like path finding and AI techniques, but they also employs smart low level tricks to fool the user that you don't think of at first. Also, there are time and cpu constraints, efficiency is important here. Last but not least, everything has to work in a nice manner.

I do most work in open source games, and "use" them to learn and sharpen my techniques in version control systems, code refactoring, and modifying larger programs without breaking them.

The biggest disadvantage is that game development is so much fun and costs so much time, I hardly ever play a game :)