How to get going

Started by
15 comments, last by Daboy 22 years, 4 months ago
Hello, im currently in Junior High... I know i may be to young for programming or most might say that but ive been "Programming" for about a year now and selling games to kids in school and such.. Im currently using Delphi 5 Standard. And when i grow up i want to become a computer programmer (like my man DavidRM :-)) Well anyways i was wondering what i can do at this age to become a good programmer of course read books and all that but id like to start off the right way at this age so i can hopefully live off it as i become older. Well any help would be appreciated. Thanks please keep the smart remarks about my age at a minimum) :-)
Jordan Weberwww.pheonixsoftware.com
Advertisement
Never too young to program. If you can read, you can code.

It sounds like you''re on your way. The little advice I can offer is code, learn C++ one day, code, pay attention to math, and code.

No rush on anything.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
Well i was thinking about like at 16 learn C++ does that sound good or what?? and speaking of pope mobile... im making a screen saver with a Tali Van...hehe Why not make some cash off the taliban?? Thx for the reply
1 last thing would u suggest me starting C++ right now???
How good is your maths? I was good at maths when I was at school but I lost my way when I was at college. All the other coders where I work are great at maths, and it makes me wish I had studied maths to A level (in the UK) rather than just O level. It will never hurt you as a coder to have been top of your class at Maths, in fact you probably need to be at that level (at least) if you are going to do well at 3D coding. For other stuff (AI, sound gameplay) you just need good general logic and coding knowledge.
I wouldnt say you are too young to learn C++.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Heh Cliffski thanks!

I now know there ARE others out there that ain't so good at Maths and still have a love for making games

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities

Edited by - lutas on November 20, 2001 10:19:19 AM
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well i was thinking about like at 16 learn C++ does that sound good or what?? and speaking of pope mobile... im making a screen saver with a Tali Van...hehe Why not make some cash off the taliban?? Thx for the reply

I don't see why not, I've learned the basics of C when I was 9 at a summer camp. So I don't see why you shouldn't learn C/C++ at 16. Anywhow, the choice is yours.

"And that's the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer

Edited by - cyberdrek on November 20, 2001 10:33:25 AM
[Cyberdrek | ]
Well right now im 13 but i mean at what age should i learn C++, and yeah im good at math I go to all the math counts tournaments and all that..... but what do u guys think about starting C++ what age??
I''d say learn it now. Get one of those C++ for idiots books. You may not know it but C++ is an object oriented language and it can take a year or two before you become good at thinking that way (Obj Orient way).
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Avoid C++ For Dummies . . . not a good book

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement