Direct3D9 Debugging on windows 10.

Started by
5 comments, last by Enerjak 8 years ago

Okay, do I have Graphics tools installed:

1453bc6d0b.png

I'm trying to use Direct3D9's debugging layer. I've set it up in the control panel as you can see:

d469285ec1.png

And I have Debugging info enabled in Visual Studio:

f53a77a583.png

How do I fix this issue? Cause even though that is all set up, nothing gets written to the output window.

Advertisement

Not using DX9 would be a great start. Is this an external requirement?

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I remember reading the DX9 debug runtimes were disabled in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows8, so maybe they are still disabled on Windows 10. See this and this.

Not using DX9 would be a great start.

Only for a new project or a project early in development. Personally my application is nearing release after years of development and I've only recently met with this issue, but switching to DX11 would set me back a few months at least! Thanks but no thanks.

Yeah I haven't tried on Win10, but D3D9 debug layer is completely broken on Win7 and Win8, and PIX for D3D9 got completely broken at some point too.

For the full experience, you gotta go back to WinXP :(

If you're developing on NVidia hardware, I think you can still get some useful debugging information from NVidia's PerfHUD or NSight with DX9. Haven't personally tried it yet.

I can get it working on 7 but it harms the functionality of the OS. I just don't want OP to go through all that if it can be avoided. And yes, Nsight works great with 9.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yeah I haven't tried on Win10, but D3D9 debug layer is completely broken on Win7 and Win8, and PIX for D3D9 got completely broken at some point too.

For the full experience, you gotta go back to WinXP :(

I was able to use Direcr3D9's debug layer when I was using windows 7. I had to switch to windows 10 because it (windows 7) couldn't find the drivers automatically for my hardware, which included the network card to get online so I was screwed. I could just use Direct3D9 without a debug layer but that will make it harder to know when something messed up, such as not releasing com objects, devices, surfaces. That's the thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement