Academic?

Started by
6 comments, last by ktuluorion 22 years, 5 months ago
Is anyone familiar with the license for the academically priced software? Not the learners editions that are free, but the academic ones that you need a student id to get a discount. Like MS Visual Studio for 350$. If you buy these academicly priced software, do you have all the rights to publish and sell things you have created with them? Are there any odd restrictions? I would like to shell out to buy these products at the academic discount, but I don''t want to get stuck not being able to sell my stuff because it is limited in some way. Thanks for any help! -Mike
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Advertisement
My school doesn''t have those programs (private school and all) but my friends that go to state colleges have bought Office and other MS products for $20~$40 dollars. They are all full versions... not "for educational use only" software. (As far as I know anyway.)
i believe that the "student" versions of compilers and whatnot DO have restrictions though.
they don''t mind if you continue to use their word-processor for non-educational purposes, but i am fairly certain that the "student" version of, say MS VC++, doesn''t allow you to sell your programs compiled with it.
those bastards.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
No, the student version of VC++ and even 3D Studio MAX is exactly the same as the full version, just a hell of a lot cheaper! The Student version of 3D Studio is around $400 AU, which is a damn sight less than the $5000 RRP! Though you do need to give evidense that you actually use it in your studies. For VC++, it was about $90 AU, and all you need is a student card (in fact, my bookshop would probably sell it to anyone off the street even without the student card...)

codeka.com - Just click it.
I had the Student Edition of MSVC++5 when I was at uni. Waste of time, it is good in this is works fully and you can use it to learn how to program, etc. the downside is, that is can only run on the machine where MSVC is installed, so you basically cannot do anything useful with it. My recommendation: dont bother, get a full version.
I meant you can only run the programs you make on the machine with MCVC installed
I''m using the MSVS 6.0 Student Version, it''s exactly the same as the Pro Edition (-> lacks the features of the enterprise edition). I''ve had no problems running my programs on other machines (whether MSVS was installed or not). The only odd thing was that a game (still Alpha-stage) I started writing when I still had my K6-2 333Mhz ran slower on a Athlon-B 950Mhz System than on mine, but I guess that was either my fault or the other machine had some problem... On my new system everything runs fine and as far as I know (unlike the Authors-Version that ships with many books) there are no restrictions for publishing/selling any programs you write with it.

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."
I''m in college and I just bought office xp, the standard edition for 171 bucks. Visual Studio the professional edition is 269. Windows XP the full version, not upgrade is about 99 dollars. Academic software is really the full version of the product, no restrictions, but at a cheaper price. You do need a student i.d. to buy, even at online stores. They figure that students are poor and can''t afford the regular versions but yet colleges don''t have the software to "give" away to students that need the software. I am required to buy VB, VC++, and either JAVA or C#. Also, any other programming languages that I am taking a class in. It just makes sense.

Mat
MatDoodah2001@hotmail.comLife is only as fun as you make it!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement