Sign in to follow this  
adriansnetlis

Simulating surface deformations

Hi!

I am willing to do some sort of surface deformation approximations in Blender Game Engine, but I am not sure how. I don't know what maths are there involved for vertex movement depending on collision. I'm also not sure how collision callbacks work in Bullet/BGE and how to access them. Lastly, I want a low-resolution base mesh(with rigidbody physics) to deform by itself and also send collision data to the no-collision children visual mesh and deform it(with some approximations and random values for nicer effects). Oh, and I also want to know how to simulate elasticity(and moment when it gets broken and the vertex isn't returning to it's base stage any more), stiffness and other factors of materials aswell as some examples for different materials.

Thank you!:)

Hi!

I am willing to do some sort of surface deformation approximations in Blender Game Engine, but I am not sure how. I don't know what maths are there involved for vertex movement depending on collision

For deformable surfaces (and simulating elasticity) you need polynomial maths.  I'm not sure if the game engines have them. In any case if you want some simple and basic introduction to this topic , have a look at this links 

http://www.basic-mathematics.com/definition-of-a-polynomial.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial

After looking at this if you are convinced its the way to go for you, let me know and i will post some explanations of how i've coded deformable surfaces in the past with polynomials

The btHeightfield could be ideal for this. That is once you've worked out the deformations the shape is updated automatically from your vertices (without the need for baking). It's no good for tunnels though.

Or perhaps you could stiffen up cloth...a lot! But that would be way slower to process.