VB Particle Engine???

Started by
4 comments, last by icewulf 22 years, 5 months ago
Well thx for the special mention on the frontpage :D The next tutorial, I think, is in dire need of attention... The vb port is *nothing* like the origional code... I just get a whole bunch of flashing pixels in a picturebox... Gilb > perhaps you could port it (again)? thx for the input about how I shouldn''t waste my time with vb... in 2 weeks when I get holidays I''ll decide a new language...
*howl*
Advertisement
C++! Fast! Expandable! Portable! I learned VB then C++, it''s a little hard to get used to at first, but after a little while, you''ll never go back.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
*lol* I told Jeff specially that I dun the port for you! Didn''t think he''d put your name on the front page tho! *g*

The next tutorial? You mean lesson 19? I''ll look into it for you mate!

Hey no way!!! You are -not- wasting your time with VB!!! www.truevision3dsdk.com! That''s a nice example of a pure VB engine doing some impressive stuff! Ok yeah, VB can -not- nowhere near match the raw speed of C++ - but that is why we have DLL''s! Sure as VB can use Win32 API functions, it can sure as hell use any other API! In fact, I''m working on some projects now to put on a new VB scene site The world needs more VB games! I know for a fact it can do some amazing stuff - the fact that the language is slow is one of the reasons why VB was so fun to me - had to think of imaginative optimisations!!!

I remember back in the day... I was working on a car-racing game in true 3D using the Genesis3D game engine - from VB! The biggest problems were #1) The artist sucked #2) I didn''t know how to write a car-racing game *g* So I was just a little stuck and the project never got finished.

I wouldn''t say you''ll never look back once you''ve learnt C++ - I''ve pretty much learnt the language, and I keep looking back to VB *g* Well, I''ve got C++ Builder 5 now - it helps soothe the pain somewhat... *g* But I would just love to see someone create a kickass game in VB! The fact is that most VB game programmers dont actually know enough about making a game to write one in VB... Though check out www.chaceace.com if it''s still up - one of the most awesome VB games I''ve ever played is on there made by Space Time Foam - incidentally one of my favourite games of all time might I add It''s up there with Quake man! *g*

NEWay - DONT GIVE UP VB!!! It''s still an excellent language to code for and I plan soon to have a site dedicated to programming OpenGL in VB! Probably release some helper DLL''s to help those budding VB OGL''ers get rid of some of those nasty bottlenecks VB creates for us either in pure Assembly (NASM) or using a C++ DLL
Now on the other hand - I am personally getting involved in a huge project which I will be coding in C++ because I''m going to need the raw power and flexibility - but that''s another matter!

Essentially what I''m saying is the choice is up to you. I would only recommend learning C++ if you''re planning to go more serious with your programming. It''s up to you - if you want ease of coding though and just want to get a game out there, VB can do it for you and you never have to leave the joys VB introduces to your life *g* Like the simplified FIFO functions, and all that nice stuff
A side note ...

If you''re writing for a windows environment (using VB) then a lot of what you do only calls functions in various APIs - VB ain''t a bad thing to know! The ease of use with VB make''s a slight degradation in performance an acceptable thing. Like I said in another post - VB is great for many things - especially tool writing! And if a certain area is a bottleneck, then create a .dll which handles the details ... and use whatever language you like!

I''m not saying vb is a bad thing, just that for games c++ is better. I DO use vb still. I use c++ for my game/engine, and I''m using vb for config boxes, editors, and the like, as well as simple utilities to make my life easier. Apps, use vb, editors, sure, use vb, games, you CAN use vb but not for a mega new 1st person shooter that wins the market. VB certainly has it''s place(s), I won''t deny that for a second. I used to make games in vb, c++ just blows it away in many respects. I do however LOVE that lack of windows code. Mmmm... makes me feel all sane inside.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
This all comes down to one thing: the compiler beeing used, not the language or syntax / semantic structure.

But my advise would be to learn C++. VB is great for learning the event driven model. But there is no reason for using VB when there are highspeed compilers/languages such as Delphi & and CBuilder wich ess. do the same thing faster and better( and allow low level inline-asm for example).

I can only speak for my self, but i think VB would not be as "successfull" if it weren''t for the "size" of microsoft.

I remember back in highschool, Microsoft made a deal with the school like: -"We supply you with 300 free VB licenses, if you give a class in VB programming". Now, why do they give away 300 free licenses? They know VB won''t stand a chance against Delphi, CBuilder or even their own VC++.

My opinion ofcourse. I know VB and i even took the class back in highschool, so i''m not one of thoose *hating* VB.
Still, you have to try all the others (C++, Delphi, J++) to form your own opinion.

/Ekas

______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement