Looking for good fast geometry compression for streaming!

Started by
3 comments, last by Infinisearch 7 years, 12 months ago

I am looking for advice on what are some good free/opensource software for doing realtime compression of geometry for streaming.

I'm really into VR and would like to experiment with streaming stuff like Kinect pointcloud and other scanned mesh data. (ie, that might change topology every frame)

Think x264 but for for geometry streaming.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Fred

Advertisement

This video contains a rough overview of how Microsoft does it. There are no complete libraries for this as far as I'm aware. It's possible there are papers though on each individual technique, but the process is essentially a pipeline of different point cloud and mesh algorithms. (This problem seems extremely complex by the way when it comes to creating keyframes and delta frames. Microsoft might have broken new ground when performing this research).

Very nice they are getting some really good looking results there! Thanks a lot for that link I hadn't seen that one before.

Although I have seen similar research and methods from a while back in similar implementations.

As you say this is a pipeline and one which is designed around getting a high quality visual result, doing quite a few passes on the data to get the final result.

While this is super cool too, I am interested in something that is focused on low latency / speed for more realtime skype like applications.

I imagine that this will be a huge field in a few years as VR/AR glasses get more common. It would be great with an opensource alternative to what Google, Facebook and MS are going to produce. But maybe it is just too early for that right now?

Great video, and if that's 20k polys per frame, it just shows how terrible our current realtime lighting and animation is, if five to ten plus times the polys per character can still look markedly worse.

But otherwise I suspect as you do fredrum, in that VR/AR stuff is still entirely too new for there to be much literature on it. At least there isn't much so far as I'm aware.

Not sure its what you're looking for and I don't remember exactly which paper it was but maybe someone else will remember. There was a paper describing index and vertex compression for the PS3 SPU's. Don't hold me to this but it was either by insomniac or naughty dog.

edit - I took a quick look through my files and couldn't find it sorry.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement