Im new and I have a question to ask

Started by
7 comments, last by Kitasia 22 years, 5 months ago
Where do I get Open GL? I can only find Beta versions. A new day brings a new adventure.
Advertisement
What do you mean where do you get it?

The libraries to code with it come with almost every compiler, and the binary to run things under it comes with your OS.

OpenGL isnt beta software neither, it is a complete API for graphics. There are things being added to it by hardware vendors all the time though. The current version of OpenGL is 1.3 on nVidia hardware, not sure about other hardware.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Maybe I''m newer to this than I thought. I went to GLsetup.com and everything to download was beta.Is open GL even a program?

A new day brings a new adventure.
GLSetup is just a program that inspects your graphics hardware and installs the appropriate OpenGL driver for you. It isnt OpenGL itself. OpenGL is a graphics library used by games and applications to render images (both 2D and 3D) to the screen.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Ok Thanks!
Im don't think I have it though because I downloaded a program to develop games called Vulpine (vulpinevision.de) and it wont let me use it because of a file called ARB multitexture_extension and I found out it come with Open GL.

Edited by - AntiGuy on November 19, 2001 11:21:38 PM
What video card are you using?
Not sure I dont know everything about this CPU but I think its AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor AuthenticAMD ~450 Mhz

I dont know alot about these things
It sounds like your video card doesn''t support OpenGL. This might explain the error message you''re getting.

BTW - the multitexture_extension is part of OpenGL, not a file. I guess that vulpine is looking to make sure your card supports this before continueing.

Try a newer (OpenGL compliant) video card, and see if that works.

Thanks I'll try that I should have came here a long time ago.

Edited by - AntiGuy on November 19, 2001 12:20:33 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement