directx volume terrain

Started by
12 comments, last by vinterberg 7 years, 12 months ago
You will need to recalculate triangles only when a value is changed. You can also reduce the amount of recalculation that is performed by splitting your volume up into 'chunks', where each chunk is some arbitrary dimension of cells, and running marching cubes on a per-chunk basis. Then you only need to regenerate the chunks that are actually affected by the edit, rather than the entire landscape mesh.
Advertisement

Wow, nice idea. Maybe i dont have to recalculate all triangles but I still have to create dynamic buffer for each chunk :/

And I need to store a lot of volume data. What is the best way to increse speed? Binary files?

Wow, nice idea. Maybe i dont have to recalculate all triangles but I still have to create dynamic buffer for each chunk :/

Probably, yes.

And I need to store a lot of volume data. What is the best way to increse speed? Binary files?

Well, binary files are usually more quickly loaded than text files, yes. Other than that, you'll need to profile to find where your bottlenecks are, and try to apply optimizations as needed.

You can also generate the triangles on the GPU in realtime using a geometry shader, so you just send the voxel data directly :)

.:vinterberg:.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement