• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Fox

DX12 Query GPU usage?

This topic is 903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Guys,

I have a very simple profile system in my little dx12 engine which can basically visualize time spent on GPU for each task by using timestamp. This is a good way to tell whether we got GPU bubbles or not, or identify suspicious time consuming passes . But the problem is that we can't tell the GPU usage, for example my 'fancy' postprocess pass my be bandwidth limited, or my compute shader maybe register limited which all could cause very little gpu usage that cannot be clearly reflected by using timestamp. So I really hope to be able to visualize the gpu usage thus I can tell whether the GPU is fully saturated or not, and then could be able to do better optimization. 

And I believe being able to visualize gpu usage per task is an very important way to place your async compute shader wisely..

So it will be greatly appreciated if someone could enlightening me on that

Thanks

Peng

Advertisement

Thanks Hodgman,

Could you recommend some of those external profilers which are capable of showing all those metrics you mentioned before? I've seen for xbox one we have powerful PIX which can do real-time monitor, and offline capture analysis, but it just for xbox one though.... For desktop, I heard about GPUView, RenderDoc, Nsight, but it seems they can't give all those info as we mentioned before, so it will be greatly appreciated if you could name one or two of those profiler I can start with :-)

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!