Sign in to follow this  
Rockstar*

C++ CLI or native for game engine

Hey People!

A Team & me we're programming an open-world shooter using C++ & DirectX11.

Well, we write our house-made engine (hardline) now for 4-5 month in native C++.

In many games there are VC-Runtime executables, so we thought wtf ... Should we switch to Visual C++ (C++ CLI)?

Maybe give us advice IF we should really switch to Visual C++...

Edited by Josh Petrie
remove potentially offensive and definitely unrelated crap from the post

Clarifying so what Josh Petrie said makes sense:

You're confusing the CRT (C Run-Time) with CLI (Common Language Infrastructure).

CLI is some weird hybrid between C++ & C# for interoperating between those two languages.

CRT is native and provides common basic C functionality such as malloc, free, strcpy, etc. When you see projects linked to the VC Runtime, they're linking to the CRT.

In many games there are VC-Runtime executables

Most applications dynamically link to the VC++ runtime. Yours should too. This does not mean they are C++/CLI executables; they're usually plain C++ executables, but (functionally) all C++ executables require linking (dynamically or statically) to a C++ runtime.

"Visual C++" is a slightly inaccurate name for Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE. It's a tool not a language. C++/CLI is a language that was mainly useful for writing libraries to interoperate between C# and C++. You should definitely not use it to write your game.

I really thank you two, Josh Petrie & Matias Goldberg. That's, in my eyes, a A+ explanation & cleared absolutely the question.

I wish you both a nice day!

Hey People!

A Team & me we're programming an open-world shooter using C++ & DirectX11.

Well, we write our house-made engine (hardline) now for 4-5 month in native C++.

In many games there are VC-Runtime executables, so we thought wtf ... Should we switch to Visual C++ (C++ CLI)?

Maybe give us advice IF we should really switch to Visual C++...

C++ CLI meant to bring the .net world into C++, or vice versa I can't tell these days.

Anyhow, it is not recommended. You need realtime performance which won't be any easier with the CLR(Common language runtime). 

Stick with the things you got, It will be easier to recompile to other platforms when you need to.