• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vbisme

No more BltFast???

This topic is 6149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I understand that clipping cannot be used with BltFast in DirectDraw when the image to blit is off the screen. However, even if the image is on the screen I still can''t use BltFast anymore once the clipper is set. Is there something with this?

Advertisement
You cannot use BltFast if you set up any clipper. You can write a manual clipper which will provide you with a high performance boost (microsoft''s clipper is very slow), and allow you to use BltFast.

Code comment of the week:
// loop of faith

So, if I do some kind of test to see if any part of the image is on the screen, if any I would set a RECT perhaps. That would be faster then?

Don''t worry about it. BltFast is only quicker on software Blts and nearly all cards now have hardware accelerated Blitting.

Yep, that''s pretty much all there is to it. Be careful for off by 1 errors and such, it always happens the first time :X If your writing for multiple resolutions you''ll have to use non hardcoded screen coordinates height and width too.

sisapete: Almost every video card has some sort of blit acceleration but from my experience using the bltfast api is MUCH more fast then the standard one (BitBlt?). You could always run a test program with a whole lot of sprites and see if there is no difference in speed.

Code comment of the week:
// loop of faith

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!