No way to debug D3D12's HLSL code with Visual Studio 2015

Started by
12 comments, last by cpyburn78 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm using the in-build capture mechanism in VS2015(VC2015 accurately), when I was about to open the UI for shader tracing, it showed "such functionality is not supported for DX12".

Is that true? If so, Microsoft doesn't support its flagship API compared to the existing D3D11?

Advertisement

Well so disappointed that nobody ever replied.

Is that true? If so, Microsoft doesn't support its flagship API compared to the existing D3D11?

I haven't tried it yet.

You could always try RenderDoc in the meantime. It's better than the MS tools anyway.

I haven't tried it yet.

You could always try RenderDoc in the meantime. It's better than the MS tools anyway.

Thanks. I briefly read through RenderDoc's introduction, it's said to support D3D11 only.

BTW, VS2015 actually can debug DX12 shader code if setting the device feature level as 11.

Though neither is perfect.

Oh sorry, I though he'd added D3D12 support already :o

I'm using the in-build capture mechanism in VS2015(VC2015 accurately), when I was about to open the UI for shader tracing, it showed "such functionality is not supported for DX12".

D3D12 is young still -- vendors have only within the past handful of months gotten some validated drivers out. Tools always lag behind, but it just takes time. And D3D12 is pretty fundamentally different than 11, not only the API, but the also in the way that you would want to expose the API usage in the Graphics Diagnostics UI. Its a lot of work on their plate.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I can access resource data but I can't do shader debugging like before. Trying to debug a compute works great:

http://i.imgur.com/Dw1Xx1K.png

Since the data visualizers seem okay that's how I've been working.

I can access resource data but I can't do shader debugging like before. Trying to debug a compute works great:

http://i.imgur.com/Dw1Xx1K.png

Since the data visualizers seem okay that's how I've been working.

MS demonstrated everything but the shader debugging.

But we can debug on DX12 device feature level 11.

D3D12 is young still -- vendors have only within the past handful of months gotten some validated drivers out. Tools always lag behind, but it just takes time. And D3D12 is pretty fundamentally different than 11, not only the API, but the also in the way that you would want to expose the API usage in the Graphics Diagnostics UI. Its a lot of work on their plate.

Truly it takes time for vendors to follow. But the thing is NVIDIA/AMD has already offered their DX12 drivers but Microsoft the DX12 creator itself hasn't finished its dev tool.

Use HIVs debugging tools. On AMD cards GPUPerfstrudio and CodeXL have a pretty nice D3D12 support, intel GPA support is in alpha but better than nothing, while nvidia nsight support isn't that great now..

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement