Question about Open World Survival Game Engines

Started by
48 comments, last by Tangletail 7 years, 11 months ago

What about this:

Me = 20% equity, 12% profit sharing (with overall 100% control for business decisions)

Lead = 20% equity, 12% profit sharing

9 x Coder, Art, Level = 6.6% equity, 8.4% profit sharing

So I still have control, but you own more of the company?

I'd really start with a smaller team. Seems like already planning for you + 10 people is very... optimistic. Also, you dont know what recommendations your tech lead will make as far as how many coders you'll need. Personally I'd start with: you (business + design), 1 tech lead, 1 art lead. If you dont want to do design at all, then add 1 design lead. Start with that, make some progress, grow the team, repeat. You'd also want to decide how much equity you'll give initial recruits versus subsequent ones. Logically you want to give more equity to early hires than later ones. And of course some recruits should get more depending on their experience, how much time they can contribute, etc. It all gets fairly complicated very quickly, but you need a plan that all the initial founders have agreed to... because all that equity will come from everyone's share.

I would also really talk to a lawyer because there's probably all kinds of considerations like what happens if you give someone 10% initially and then they drop out after a month? You dont want to just give away equity unless someone has actually contributed, so you might want to make sure the equity vests over time.

Advertisement

What I bring to the table is industry and customer base knowledge

Okay, so how do you demonstrate that (or the value it brings) to a potential business partner? What games you have leveraged this knowledge to ship, and how can you show you did so? That's going to be one of the first questions anybody you approach is going to ask.

Before you say that's not worth much......WarZ Devs (failed)....DayZ Standalone Devs (failed)....H1Z1 Devs (failed). So you've got the gambit from CCC to AAA development companies, full of devs, full of marketing people, full of various other support people, that all failed. They didn't fail because they were bad coders, artists, and level design.

I'd be very curious to know what your definition for "failure" is, here. And why you think that (at least some of) those cited examples didn't have people with "industry and customer base knowledge."

What about this:

I don't think you need that many people. I think you need a very small core team of partners who between them cover the abilities required to make some kind of functional prototype or proof of concept and you need to use that to leverage a funding source so you can pay the rest of the team (which consists of a makeup to be determined later, once you have a solid prototype and a better idea of what the hell is going on).

I haven't shipped any games yet. And I understand that might be a deterrent to some. But if they understand the vision, they'll get why what I'm saying is crucial to the development of the game.

Failure is a big initial sales release, only to have the game crater into the ground as a failure at the end. For me personally I will never buy another title from anyone ever associated with WarZ (Infestation), DayZ Standalone, or H1Z1. Those are customers they had, but won't ever give them another look because of the way the game cratered. So yes, they did win by getting a large amount of money up front. Congrats to them. But they lost their customer base for future titles. You don't build successful companies by making your customers so angry they won't come back for more.

I really don't know how many people I need. Truly ignorant there :) But talking to you guys is making me less ignorant :)

Again thanks for everyone's help on this!

p.s. OrOd that is one of the things I'm worried about. The team on Day 1 will probably not be the same as the team on Release Day. Figuring out how to compensate those who "helped" but didn't "stick with it" is going to be a huge part of how much or how little legal trouble we will have.....lol

I haven't shipped any games yet. And I understand that might be a deterrent to some. But if they understand the vision, they'll get why what I'm saying is crucial to the development of the game.

The thing is that there's a big difference between having a vision and executing that vision. Having previously shipped games, especially ones where you took your idea from start to finish, shows that you can execute over the development period and you understand all that's involved. This goes as well for finding your partners, like your tech lead for example. Someone who's an experienced engineer is nice, but someone who's shipped multiple titles or developed their own game is much better.

p.s. OrOd that is one of the things I'm worried about. The team on Day 1 will probably not be the same as the team on Release Day. Figuring out how to compensate those who "helped" but didn't "stick with it" is going to be a huge part of how much or how little legal trouble we will have.....lol

Yup, I would consider a vesting schedule that goes from 0 to whatever % that person gets over a reasonable time-frame, or perhaps based on milestones, or both.

If you were trying to design a game like DayZ, WarZ, Rust, or H1Z1 from scratch, which engine would you use?

I understand that it's suggested I put this in "for beginners" but I'm not looking for beginner advice. I'd like to know what the pros would use.

Well a student's opinion... Anything that can be quickly updated. Which... honestly doesn't change your options much... Most people would roll their own engines, and it's designed specifically to their specifications. It's possible to do this with any pre-made engine that works only as a framework. Because it's all about data handling and delegation.

I wouldn't use Unity for something like this, as adding content would be a severe hassle. Unreal, Cry, and Lumberyard would do just fine as the data can just be loaded from outside. But going on with others, I'd still make my own engine. The code base won't be nearly as massive, and the engine would be designed specifically for the game. Which means that the Client is just a viewer that sends command buffers. And the Server handles all the logic. The server handles all the logic and sanity checks, which means that updating the game and bug tracing won't be such a bastard. You can log everything that happens, restart the server to apply updates, or dynamically change the world at run time.

Perhaps, but if they've shipped some games, what you're saying might also be precisely the reason they won't work with you. Since you don't have the requisite experience, you don't really know where the line is between good and bad ideas with respect to making games. It's very different to be in it, or have been in it, yourself versus seeing other games "fail" (accordingly to some arbitrary metrics you designed) yourself. It will be a significant risk factor for you.

Failure is a big initial sales release, only to have the game crater into the ground as a failure at the end.

This is a circular definition and thus not very convincing.
But they lost their customer base for future titles

Citation needed. Once customer is not a "customer base" unless you're making something insanely expensive and can be profitable selling it only once.

You don't build successful companies by making your customers so angry they won't come back for more.

True, but you cannot please everybody so every decision you make about the game will have detractors, no matter what (unless, again, your total customer base is so small that it doesn't matter). I've worked on large MMOs that, several years after release, still had large vocal communities of detractors and yet were somehow still very profitable. The people who complain and "quit" aren't all there is to the story. Remember that infamous screenshot of the "Boycott Modern Call of Warduty 4" (or whatever it was) Steam group where all it's user were "Currently playing Modern Call of Warduty 4."
I really don't know how many people I need

You need no more than four (you, a programming lead, and art lead, and a design lead). That's probably stretching it, too, you could definitely do it with three and maybe, maybe with just two people total. More than four would be biting off more than you can chew right now.
The team on Day 1 will probably not be the same as the team on Release Day. Figuring out how to compensate those who "helped" but didn't "stick with it" is going to be a huge part of how much or how little legal trouble we will have

You won't have any legal trouble so long as you involve a lawyer. The issue is more that you will have trouble convincing anybody to work with you if the terms aren't favorable enough for them, not unlike any sort of compensation negotiation. They may love the idea, feel you're a trustworthy potential partner, and all that but there's always a price associated with that feeling.
You may find Undead Labs' breakdown of their profit sharing agreement worth reading; one of the reasons Jeff released it under a CC license was precisely so other companies would consider adopting it.
Unreal, Cry, and Lumberyard would do just fine as the data can just be loaded from outside. But going on with others, I'd still make my own engine. The code base won't be nearly as massive, and the engine would be designed specifically for the game. Which means that the Client is just a viewer that sends command buffers. And the Server handles all the logic. The server handles all the logic and sanity checks, which means that updating the game and bug tracing won't be such a bastard. You can log everything that happens, restart the server to apply updates, or dynamically change the world at run time

I'd say this is a bad idea (rolling your own technology stack), especially initially when what one really needs to build is a prototype. Any of the major commercial, off-the-shelf engines will be more than capable of executing that and for a fraction of the cost of rolling one's own. They will probably be more than capable of executing the intended final game as well, perhaps with some custom modifications to support specific edge cases warranted by the design. Cost in this context is measured in time, since nobody's getting a salary: turnaround time to profit generation is important. The longer it takes to get there, the less your time is worth because there isn't a linear relationship between time (and effort!) put into the product from an engineering perspective and dollars you get back out.
?I also think this is an oversimplification of what actually needs to technically happen.
In any event this isn't the decision the OP should be making, since it's far outside of his wheelhouse. It's a decision the fellow he brings on as his technical lead should make.

The problem is I don't have a team yet. And if I randomly assemble a team without choosing the engine first..........I'll get 3 unity guys, 4 unreal engine guys, 2 cryengine guys, and 1 guy who works on some smaller indie engine.

That's really not a problem that you'll have to worry about any time soon, as it relies on the assumption that you'll actually be able to recruit 8 startup-worthy programmers in the first place :P Consider that in the US, the rule of thumb is that a tech-startup needs $10k per team member per month.

Most people cannot afford to work for no pay. The group you'll most likely be able to recruit are students who still live with their parents, as their expenses are minimal and their free time higher than a working professional. However, you can't launch a AAA game with a student team. You also end up with the issues that you're worried about, where they can't work together, can't tolerate other technologies, have unreliable work ethic, and are over-eager to sign up to projects but unlikely to deliver.
At a professional workplace, adding a junior programmer to the team actually increases the amount of time that your project will take, as you need to waste a percentage of one of your senior programmer's time to mentoring them and helping them develop into an intermediate / independent worker.

The people that you need for a start-up are the core staff of these professional teams. The ones that can transmute a graduate programmer into a senior games programmer over the course of a few years.
Those guys are worth $100k a year. For them to give up that kind of salary and gamble on some entrepreneurial adventure they've got to be a an extremely rare kind of crazy.

So your recruitment audience covers the inexperienced and the extremely-rare talented entrepreneur.

The former category will give you all the strife that you're worrying about, and don't actually have the AAA background that you're looking for anyway... So no matter how good your own secret sauce is, your project will also be a flop.

The latter category can actually build you this game... but seeing you're not bringing cash to the table, they can also do it just as much without you. You need to realize that you need these people waaaaaaay more than they need you. Even if your claims of ensuring a hit are 100% true: without you they can build and ship an inferior product, but without them you're stuck.

In a partnership with people who can actually build your product, you're the one who's value is suspect. Assuming you can actually find AAA game veterans who would be willing to quit their paying jobs and go unpaid for a year or more on the chance of producing a hit game, these people are much more likely to set up their own studio by themselves. Usually new triple-I ("triple-A indie") teams tend to be made up of people who have worked together before -- e.g. 3 people who all leave a AAA studio at the same time, who were able to do a lot of the business planning while in a safe job (while also spending 40 hours a week in the perfect environment to meet other talent) before making the decision to go independent.

Imagine the tables are spun 180º from your proposal. Imagine a group of AAA veterans have just quit Activision and formed a new studio to make a survival horror game in your town. Now imagine that you go and knock on their door, resume in hand, and propose that they bring you on as some kind of consultant to ensure their game will be a hit, and all you want is half the equity in the company, or equity equal to the three founders who will actually be building the product. That's a tough pitch. You would want to have one hell of a sales speech backed up with some amazing data to win them over. With no track record or experience in game design, it's a really hard sell.

That's a tough challenge to take on.

But you're proposing to take on more than that -- you're trying to convince these people to form a new studio in the first place, without having the benefits of networking that comes from working at a large studio, or experience to prove your worth, or money to fund it. That's the above challenge x10.

Soo.... if I were you, I'd put this plan on the backburner for a while and focus on something more achievable: a non-profit venture to test the waters. When there's no money to be made, so many problems fade away.

You're not offering money? You're not making money - it's a hobby / passion project!

People get excited and join the team but don't contribute? No worries, you're not paying them!

Can't figure out a fair way to divide the spoils? The spoils are bragging rights - a credits list. Way less drama!

Can't convince AAA veterans to quit their jobs? Maybe they can spare a few hours on the weekend for a hobby they're interested in.

Can't afford to get the engine you want and all the basic assets, such as worlds / props / animations / sound effects required to boot-strap the project? Make it as a mod for an existing game!

e.g. DayZ started as a free mod for Arma 2, leveraging probably a million dollars worth of assets that existed in that game already. Once the mod became extremely popular, they were able to secure the financial backing required to form a team and produce an actual stand-alone game.

[background=#fafbfc]I'd say this is a bad idea (rolling your own technology stack), especially initially when what one really needs to build is a prototype. Any of the major commercial, off-the-shelf engines will be more than capable of executing that and for a fraction of the cost of rolling one's own. They will probably be more than capable of executing the intended final game as well, perhaps with some custom modifications to support specific edge cases warranted by the design. Cost in this context is measured in time, since nobody's getting a salary: turnaround time to profit generation is important. The longer it takes to get there, the less your time is worth because there isn't a linear relationship between time (and effort!) put into the product from an engineering perspective and dollars you get back out.[/background]

[background=#fafbfc]?I also think this is an oversimplification of what actually needs to technically happen.[/background]

[background=#fafbfc]In any event this isn't the decision the OP should be making, since it's far outside of his wheelhouse. It's a decision the fellow he brings on as his technical lead should make.[/background]

Probably is a seriously terrible oversimplification. However, an arguable one as Dayz is designed to be hosted on user servers, not as one massive MMO. I will definitely agree now that I think about it, that I was in the wrong about saying roll your own engine. My general understanding of the technology behind a massive game like WARZ(even if it flopped badly) H1Z1 is that it's general implementation sever side is still engine independent. So you'll still need to role your own to some degree if one does not already exist. (Unless you guys in the professional world are snickering down at me because you know a secret that I do not.)

There won't be a single game engine (that I know of anyways) that will handle everything a server cluster needs to do.

Initial Packet Encryption as a small but effective defense against script kiddies/Trolls against DDOS.

Some way of tracking your client's state: Did your client suddenly loose connection? Is your client sending information?

Choosing a protocol that is effective for your use. UDP is probably the most common one used, but can be difficult to use correctly. Probably because it's like C, you can do anything with it, but only because it doesn't stand in your way.

Security measures to protect your user accounts, because you're held liable for their information.
User Delegation to other server clusters after initial login. Each server managing some portion of the world, with some form of set up specific to the game. Second Life for example has each region 256 meter squared landmass on each core of a processor. And a Grid is simply one computer of the server. But it's incredibly complicated still because it handles assets on a single universal data bank.

The list generally goes on...

1) If you're not a developer, and you don't have startup capital to pay any livable wage, what do you bring to the table? And not the BS about industry experience and customer base knowledge - I mean actual work that you can do.

2) If you're not paying, and you're not developing, and you're not a lawyer/accountant/etc who can manage some major aspect of the potential business by yourself, you're going to have to accept lower equity than any developer -- you're essentially getting equity for nothing, so it's still a good deal for you. Capitalists get away with making money from others' labor because they have the capital to pay wages while waiting on the returns from that labor. It's a matter of material convenience for the laborers - steady, consistent pay. That's the only way that arrangement works in practice.

3) You're asking people to spend considerable time (probably thousands of hours) on this idea of yours, for no pay, but you want 100% control? You're never going to get anyone talented to stick around with that policy.

4) About the 50hr guy and 5000hr guy - there's no accurate way to quantify time spent. If you ask the developers to log it; some will lie, otherwise will neglect to log time they spent just thinking about something. If you try to count lines; you lose time spent testing, chasing bugs, profiling for optimization, etc - all necessary, often difficult, sometimes requiring advanced knowledge - and all impossible to guess by anyone but the developer themselves. If you try to factor in communication by formal lines (IRC channel, meetings, we) you might miss a quiet, diligent worker and reward a gab.

5) If I take a day off from work to implement some feature in one sitting, I may only be investing 8 hours of work more than usual, but I'm also losing 8 hours of immediate pay to do this. How do you propose to handle this type of investment in the form of lost wages?

I did fail to mention what I'd be doing. It did sound like "hey, here's a good idea, go to work programmers, I'll be back at profit time". Definitely not the case though.

From day 1, I will be out there doing a few important things:

- Website / forum development. Maintaining, posting, moderating, everything.

- Business Transactions

- Marketing / Press Releases / Setting up for Funding Push

- Finance

This is the most important thing I will be doing though:

1. Going out to draw customers into the forum to start discussions about what the game should be like.

2. Polling those customers over, and over, and over until we've boiled down exactly what they're looking for.

3. Communicating this information to the team so they're ONLY programming what the customer would enjoy and find valuable (cutting as much programming waste as possible).

4. Marketing the game to the player base, issuing press releases, building the support for a successful kickstarter or other pre-release funding option. Making sure that our name and game are a constant presence in the genre all the way from initial development, to funding (kickstarter, etc), to launch.

5. Return to step 1, repeat infinitely until the game is ready for release.

Can programmers do that? Yes, some of them very well could. Can they do that job 100% and do programming 100% at the same exact time? No. Why waste valuable programming talent on all of that? Why not have someone with customer service and business experience do those functions?

And I didn't mention the most important thing of all. I have anti-cheat system in mind that will pair with any of the major AAA anti-cheat engines and AAA games. It will basically tie into the game, the anti-cheat, and a third party program to reduce cheating in enabled servers by 90% more than the AAA anti-cheat alone. If I can get the game going, the existing developers would get a profit share in the new business that would dwarf the initial game sales of the Survival game by several orders of magnitude. Example, in any FPS AAA game, the cheating is usually pretty rampant. Anywhere from 5-20% of the player base either has cheated, is cheating, or will cheat at some point. With this system I can get it down by ninety percent to 0.05% to 2% of the player base. The best part is, you can integrate it into any game that uses AAA anti-cheat. So this system could be in COD, BF, The Division, etc, etc, to provide customers an almost "cheat free" experience. It does require players to pay for the program and pay a monthly fee though.

I won't give away details, because that is the "real prize" for the devs at the end of the rainbow, and I don't want someone else to bring it to market. Once it is released, it's literally so simple of a concept, you'll slap your head and say "jeez why didn't I think of that". Because of this secondary business I'll be 100% committed to the first one succeeding because without a "proof of concept" of this anti-cheat working in OUR game, there's no way any other AAA development team would even consider it. But if we can prove it works in OUR game, the sky is the limit. Every AAA anti-cheat and AAA developer can use our new anti-cheat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement