Sign in to follow this  
irreversible

Do you ever get this?

You mean, you write a compiler with a while and for statement, and break and continue statement, wrap it all up, release it, it gets used by several hundreds of people a year.

Then, 2-3 years later you write a test program to figure out some other problem, compile it with your compiler, and it acts weird. After some debugging, you find "continue" actually does "break" instead!

So indeed, it happens :p

So yeah - do you ever get this?

Not so similar but ... here is it anyway

I've had to write algorithms for triangles  of different shapes, from normal to weird lately

Every time I thought I had written my algorithm to cover all the weird shaped triangles another weirder one appears and breaks the code.
And then after a while super weird shaped triangles began to appear that broke the code - triangles that are effectively a single line because you could draw a single straight line through all 3 points

I guess I probably hadn't read my books well enough, because i think veterans have standards ways of dealing with these weird shapes :lol:

When

So yeah - do you ever get this?

Not so similar but ... here is it anyway

I've had to write algorithms for triangles  of different shapes, from normal to weird lately

Every time I thought I had written my algorithm to cover all the weird shaped triangles another weirder one appears and breaks the code.
And then after a while super weird shaped triangles began to appear that broke the code - triangles that are effectively a single line because you could draw a single straight line through all 3 points

I guess I probably hadn't read my books well enough, because i think veterans have standards ways of dealing with these weird shapes :lol:

I discovered the plentiful nuances of computational geometry firsthand when I wrote my triangulator. It took me months to iron out all the kinks and handle all special cases, and I'm sure there are still a few around that I simply haven't come across :).

A triangulator now seems like the perfect school assignment for students who think they know better. There's always that one special T junction, degenerate vertex or empty triangle they can't think of :)