• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

3d game library?

This topic is 718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, i'm thinking of using Visual solution to make game, with its new 3d viewer capacity etc.

Are there 3d game library other than monogame that support easy cross platform building?

I tried things like unreal but it keeps crashing on me upon launch. 
thanks.

Advertisement

3D libraries have you never thought about OpenGL?

OpenGL is not a 3D library. It is a (low level) API for rendering. It specifically does not contain (not strives to contain) most things you would expect of a 3d library (for example extremely simple things like matrix/vector utility functions). You build a 3d library on top of OpenGL (or DirectX).

3D Game Library are beside of MonoGame is, SDL(Simple DirectMedia Layer) and SFML(Simple and Fast Multimedia Library) are c++ library but they have C#/.NET bindings that i know.

Neither SDL nor SFML are "3D libraries." They're low-level utility libraries for basic windowing, input, audio, and simple 2D graphics.

The OP is looking for something like Ogre3d, which is a complete 3D rendering middleware (but not a complete game engine) that has been used by a number of commercial games. There are other libraries of the same ilk.

The alternative is to just use a full C++ game engine, like Unreal.

Sean is hitting it almost at the right spot.
But unreal is very heavy and costly in performance.

I wish i can reduce all of those into simple IDE with basic, flat lighting, old school kinda setup.

Monogame seems like, very very close to what i need. And then there's crystal space or delta3d.

Can someone point me out on, learning how to design a personal 3d game library?
I kinda like C++ for development. 
Or maybe i just need a particular mathematic solution for physics collision.

And what about directX SDK or Vulkan SDK?
Thoughts?

Need a LIGHTWEIGHT 3D C++ engine! (/r/gamedev)

There's a billion options. Or you can just write your own; there's a bunch of books on the topic.

Regarding Vulkan vs DX, I _highly_ recommend DirectX 9 or 11. The documentation for DX is far more developed, the tools are vastly more complete and usable, and the DX 9/11 APIs are approachable by newcomers. Vulkan (like D3D12) is not designed to be easy, convenient, or even efficient without lots of work (e.g. a professional can make something like Vulkan/D3D12 truly scream but a hobbyist will have immense trouble getting Vulkan even close to the perf of a legacy GL/DX driver).

i find dx9 plus a thin wrapper layer, render queue, frustum cull, and asset pools to be a good combo for a basic graphics system.

but its not cross platform.

same thing should be doable in Ogl, which is a bit more cross-platform.

think long and hard about the platforms you want to support and why. the choice of platforms can severely limit your choices from available tools.

i find dx9 plus a thin wrapper layer, render queue, frustum cull, and asset pools to be a good combo for a basic graphics system.

but its not cross platform.

same thing should be doable in Ogl, which is a bit more cross-platform.

think long and hard about the platforms you want to support and why. the choice of platforms can severely limit your choices from available tools.

?Yeah, Norman, i'm not exactly very well educated with dx...wrapper? glue code?

I'm developing for my first portofolio, so it'll be in PC first.
I hope it runs backwards compatible, so i want the graphic to stay sharp and crisp than over-the-top.

Thing is, i am more of an animator, artist of sort.
I know scale things large.
I can animate.
My thought process for my game loop is all animations->assign states->physics + vector direction acquisition->inputs and play

So in summary is, not being lazy or anything since i am still going through engines, even open source like allegro or delta3d...
What i need is an engine/library that
-runs on pc
-can build its own solution and exe (CMAKE or OpenCV seems like interesting)

-preferablly C++, or C#, anything but python, since compiling blender game engine runtime summons a fat chunk

of python library about 100MB or so along with the game (not sure if this is one time or for every games, need confirmation)
-uses FBX. animation clip and modelling, again, not blender, since it exposes its .blend file and i don't like it exposed.(need confirmation)
-able to recreate unique bin package or extension names like .gmo or .pak

I'll be running something like 1500 tris or so per character, a 20000 or so for the environment. Basically like PPSPP.

The key to all these are more about, generating particular shader and mathemathic solutions, in a lightweight game engine/3d library...

something about physics and intersection. 
Unity was good but, its costly bits, and i've browsed its entire collection and find nothing i want. 
Unreal almost got it, with great support, but its just heavy and i cannot build anything now suddenly.

Thoughts?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement