• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dave

Unity Why do level editors have geometry creation features?

This topic is 806 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What do I mean?

We all know that characters, props and so forth are generally created in modelling packages and imported and positioned in the level editor to form a scene. Terrain is usually crafted within the level editor because it ties in very closely to to the terrain implementation and so typically isn't created in modelling packages. However Unity, Unreal and Hammer editors all provide the ability to create geometry such as quads, planes, cubes and spheres, from scratch.

Why do we need these features?

What is this useful for if you have Maya or 3DS Max installed? 

Why not just create everything in modelling packages?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'd be interested in hearing what you think the uses for it are.

Thanks,

Advertisement
As Syntac_ said, it helps programmers.

I'm a programmer and I want to start doing my stuff before artists finish their models. I use a capsule for the player and a cube for enemies, so I can program basic movement and events, which I only need to tweak after I get final art.

Besides that, I think designers could make a level with planes, cubes and spheres, with some kind of color code or images which artists can then take as reference.

Those are just examples, but I hope you get the general idea about why this feature is useful.

Best regards.

Level designers will also often spit out a prototype level with just some shapes.  Anyone who doesn't regularly keep a 3d modeling package open shouldn't have to wait the 5 minutes it takes on average for the damned thing to open, plop down basic geometry, hopefully get it centered correctly, then export it, then re-import it into the game, just to get a very basic shape into their game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!