• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
anders211

How to configure step by step shader/effect file compilation for x64

This topic is 935 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

When You work in 32-bit windows environment with coding your application and you are using shaders and do compilation in the code with the aid of:

D3DXCompileShaderFromFile

then everything might work as expected.

However when You move your project to 64-bit windows environment and you compile it for win32 or x64 then you might suffer very strange problems with your graphics which are generated by your shaders. 

Actually when I use none shaders and move my code to windows 64-bit from 32-bit win env PC then it is no matter if I use as active build win32 or x64. The code works the same.

[attachment=31785:x3264.png]

The only change between win32 and x64 which I manually had to introduced is the below red lines (x64 instead of x86):

[attachment=31784:changingconfiguration.png]

The problem begins when You use shaders. Thereare problems like described in this post thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/677347-meshes-rendered-with-the-aid-of-shaders-corrupted-in-windows-64-bit/

I thought it is issue with intel gma card, however now I have the same problem with my PC with nvidia GT440 graphic card.

My problems depends on that no matter if I choose win32 or x64 build configuration, there are many distortions in graphic which is generated by shaders and this happens only in x64 windows environment. I think that the solution is to tell visual studio to use x64 shader compiler instead of win32. But I don't know how to do that because I have never done this and on website there are unclear hints how to do this.Could anyone share me the secret?

Here are compilers:

[attachment=31787:foundCompilers.png]

Which one to choose and where to put it? What and where to change additionally in visual studio settings?

Edited by anders211

Advertisement

Anyone knows at least some game C++ company which is user friendly and can help me? Because for sure there must exist some people on the world who knows how to solve such issues. 

Edited by anders211

Hi there.
If you want to make sure it's something "unpredictable", my advice would be to debug the VS and PS using a shader debugger. Visual studio has one integrated, depending on the version and the dx version our using. For DX9 you can use pix for Windows.
That way you can see in which step the data gets messed up

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!