Of Love and Sorrow - Main Theme

Started by
5 comments, last by JoshCzoski 7 years, 11 months ago

Hey guys and gals,

Here's the main theme to a game that will be coming out very soon:

Hope you all like it and, as always, feedback and comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Nice--my main comment would be that the melody in the middle gets REALLY overpowered by the percussion and low brass. I kind of had to strain to listen for the melodic idea--it's there, but I think it would be good for the arrangement to "declare" - brought out and sung - quite a bit more than this, if that makes sense, over the supportive parts.

Hey Josh - I really appreciate the comment! I do disagree with you, however, as I can very clearly hear the melody even when testing the overall mix at very low volumes. Especially in the middle section where the melody is being doubled in the winds, strings and brass sections and much of the percussion is taken out. I've also tested it out on multiple set ups (i.e cell phones, laptops, headphones, high-fi speakers, etc). But maybe I'm too close to the piece? Your feedback is the first I've heard about not being able to clearly hear the melody so I'll definitely take it into consideration. Should more voice the same concern, then I think it may be time for a tweaking in the mix. :)

I don't mean to discount your input - because I do value it! It's just not what I'm hearing (and I'm trying to hear as objectively as I can) and it's not what several other people, including the client, have heard as well. What device(s) were you doing playback on? That might help give further context to your feedback.

Thanks so much!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

One clarifying point for me - I don't consider the opening to be part of the melody. It's just building the stage and setting the vibe. And in that one spot, I do think the winds and upper strings sorta do get buried some by the percussion and lower brass. But the last two sections, at least to me, have clear melodies.

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Maybe some of the melody notes don't have an attack that is clear enough. It's a common problem when an instrument plays long and short notes in the same line. Maybe you could tweak the attack on shorter notes or use another sample on those. I think from 0:41 forward the melody (attackwise) is just a bit unclear. I can hear it well but I'm still not sure what I hear. Maybe add still another instrument in the upper or same octave to bring in some power.

I think this was already third or fourth post in a really short time as I'm commenting attacks :D But it really is a great factor when making realistic music with virtual instruments and I'm also struggling with it all the time myself.

But it's really great music, this was just to comment your previous discussion :)

Good point Kasu! Thanks!

It could also be the reverb I'm applying to the sections to try and get the right sense of space and depth. I'll have to take a look at it. Appreciate it!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Sometimes a melody can be complex and require astute listening for a hearer to digest, but I think what made it difficult for me to grab onto the melodic idea/theme was the balance and/or arrangement - basically, just a way to make the melodic theme really on the "foreground" in some respect. It's not that I can't hear it - it just didn't pronounce itself to me for me to catch it easily, I think.

Comparing it to (say) a painting, you may have many details but want certain items to be particularly "eye-catching" as the focus of the complicated image. Again, not a matter that it's inaudible/invisible, but that was just my thought that somehow it may be able to be pronounced and assert itself so a listener can really get the point.

At any rate, I'm sure you'll use your best judgment. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement