Looking for game engine

Started by
11 comments, last by slayemin 7 years, 11 months ago

Hello, I am an artist asking something very very common.

I am looking for a 3rd person action game engine, with several features.
I can't quite find it in unity even after browsing the entire asset store, or even going through unreal.
What i need is something middle class, right in the middle. about PSP or PS3 class kind of system.
i know about C# and can code basic collision methods.

Features i need:
-ready for 3rd person action game, camera and control input

-uses flat rendering.
-with GJK or OCTREE, capsule collision, concave mesh collider

-Drag and drop GUI and splash screen
-IDE of its own

-ready math operations, spline, quaternions, vector3s

- simple physics detections
-import FBX animation and blendshape

It should be something like PPSPP, but ready for standalone game...

Any ideas?
I have browsed many enough of game engine...found nothing similar...

Advertisement
Why not UE4??

I don't know what's GJK but it has all other things you mention and you don't need to code.

Since you're not a programmer, you can use Blueprints.

Best regards.

I can't tell from your post if you want 3D or 2D. In the case of 3D, 1st person/3rd person are just camera placement. Other than that, it's all the same. As for 2D, it's placement of the tiles.....

I can't quite find it in unity even after browsing the entire asset store, or even going through unreal.

I'm sure either Unity or Unreal can handle your scenario, it's just you seem confused as to what is part of the engine and what's game-specific.

What is Unity missing that you need?

"Why not Unreal", apparently i need something lightweight. Unreal uses different algorhytm to render its mesh. I want hand painted 3d. To do it in unreal would be reengineering the whole system. And high quality games is not something i can do alone.

Unity, almost has it, in terms of simple rendering...
but some things only the Unreal has it. Particularly this "ClosestPointonMesh" node. Let's you find nearest mesh in collision and its normal without exactly "colliding" on it.

Also it's lacking a splash screen, unlike unity.
I don't exactly have all the funds.

I am tempted to use blender...but it's runtime has this... Console.
And it's ask you to install the entire python library instead of simple binary...
is it common?
What if you want to move it to mobile?

You won't find a game engine that does all this, you'll need to grab a more generic game engine and start customizing yourself.

Btw I doubt there are nobassets for a 3rd person actuon game on the unity store. Take another look. Even some of the basic tutorials / samples have something you could build on top of.

Unreal 4 is capable of doing "hand painted 3d", there are samples for toon shaded looks. But I agree that you could target more platforms easily with unity and unity being a bit more lightweight.

Alternatively you could check out Autodesk's game engine, which offers superior integration with their other tools (maya and max), along with some nice scripting features.

shaken, not stirred

"Why not Unreal", apparently i need something lightweight. Unreal uses different algorhytm to render its mesh. I want hand painted 3d. To do it in unreal would be reengineering the whole system. And high quality games is not something i can do alone.

Unity, almost has it, in terms of simple rendering...
but some things only the Unreal has it. Particularly this "ClosestPointonMesh" node. Let's you find nearest mesh in collision and its normal without exactly "colliding" on it.

Also it's lacking a splash screen, unlike unity.
I don't exactly have all the funds.

I am tempted to use blender...but it's runtime has this... Console.
And it's ask you to install the entire python library instead of simple binary...
is it common?
What if you want to move it to mobile?

Despite your objections, Unreal is still your best choice.

Let's look at your objections:
"apparently i need something lightweight" - Define light weight. UE4 can bake a game down into a very lean CPU, GPU and hardware footprint. Performance has never been a problem in UE4.
"
Unreal uses different algorhytm to render its mesh." - in 99 out of 100 cases, how the sausage is made on the backend is irrelevant.

"I want hand painted 3d." - This is entirely possible in UE4. You can achieve this very nicely with materials. There are plenty of stylized demos which show how to do this.
"
To do it in unreal would be reengineering the whole system." - What are you talking about? The whole point of using a game engine is so that you don't have to reengineer anything. I think this is a flawed assumption and you'd need to elaborate a lot more to justify this.
"And high quality games is not something i can do alone." - I'm glad you're thinking about building a high quality game. I would hope that high quality is a standard you look for regardless of what game engine you choose. But, I think when we say "high quality", we might be talking about different definitions of the term. You may mean "visual quality" and I mean "stable, functional, bug free".

"Also it's lacking a splash screen" - Other unreal developers have placed a splash screen in their game. See Eve:Valkyrie. Regardless, this shouldn't be your primary deciding factor on what game engine to use.
"
I am tempted to use blender" - Blender is not a game engine, it's a 3D rendering program.
"
What if you want to move it to mobile?" - this is a good question and worth looking into if you're design calls for it. Decide this before building your game. Both UE4 and Unity support mobile development, but you'll want to explore the range of features they both offer before making a decision on one engine over another.

The most important questions you aren't asking:
1. Myself or my team has a programming skill at X level, what is the best engine to support our programming skill level?

2. What is the learning curve for each engine? How long does it take an average person to get proficient with the engine? What kind of online documentation is available?

I would go with unity or unreal. There both pretty good

Despite your objections, Unreal is still your best choice.

Let's look at your objections:
"apparently i need something lightweight" - Define light weight. UE4 can bake a game down into a very lean CPU, GPU and hardware footprint. Performance has never been a problem in UE4.
"Unreal uses different algorhytm to render its mesh." - in 99 out of 100 cases, how the sausage is made on the backend is irrelevant.

"I want hand painted 3d." - This is entirely possible in UE4. You can achieve this very nicely with materials. There are plenty of stylized demos which show how to do this.
"To do it in unreal would be reengineering the whole system." - What are you talking about? The whole point of using a game engine is so that you don't have to reengineer anything. I think this is a flawed assumption and you'd need to elaborate a lot more to justify this.
"And high quality games is not something i can do alone." - I'm glad you're thinking about building a high quality game. I would hope that high quality is a standard you look for regardless of what game engine you choose. But, I think when we say "high quality", we might be talking about different definitions of the term. You may mean "visual quality" and I mean "stable, functional, bug free".

"Also it's lacking a splash screen" - Other unreal developers have placed a splash screen in their game. See Eve:Valkyrie. Regardless, this shouldn't be your primary deciding factor on what game engine to use.
"I am tempted to use blender" - Blender is not a game engine, it's a 3D rendering program.
"What if you want to move it to mobile?" - this is a good question and worth looking into if you're design calls for it. Decide this before building your game. Both UE4 and Unity support mobile development, but you'll want to explore the range of features they both offer before making a decision on one engine over another.

The most important questions you aren't asking:
1. Myself or my team has a programming skill at X level, what is the best engine to support our programming skill level?

2. What is the learning curve for each engine? How long does it take an average person to get proficient with the engine? What kind of online documentation is available?

I really like your quotations and was attempting to return it the same way.

But yeah, let's list it then:
1. Yeah, i'm too stupid but i want to understand this lean "CPU, GPU hardware print." Baking took awhile and it creates something about 300 MB.
Also everytime i need to build "shaders" it takes too long. I just want to render flat shaders, like handpainted textures, and it always goes back and render like 100 thing in the background. And i could never get flat shaders from it, and the forum gave me no solution.
2. Clearly. it's not a sausage machine. it's a cow butchering, meat refinery factory. See answer one again.

3. it's not stylized. Basicaly i'm removing everything from lightmass, shadows, motionblur into raw stuff, just texture and mesh.

4. again, it's an answer i found somewhere, that flat shading is not supported in unreal.

5. cheers. I think unreal is solid too. Stable, but man, it's heavy in visual. I want it stable and lean, and unity can provide it much faster than unreal in blueprint and cpp.
What a shame since i still can't find the solution to strip it all.

6. i am glad that it's lacking splashscreen. Clarification: since unity needs you to pay for pro to remove splashscreen.
7. blender game engine is out of the question for now. What i meant is that since python library needs to be reinstalled everytime the runtime is created.
but that's an entire different story.

But i suppose all these counter argument of mine is just making it all messy.
I want to use Unreal, but apparently it keeps going on' Building shaders(100 something)' and i can't get it to make simpler games.
i have like zero programming skill and to wait until i am "proficient", will i even get to ship a game?
That's the question.

Nevermind, let's ask the question.

What is the learning curve for Unreal engine? How long does it take an average person to get proficient with the engine?

i know there's an online documentation so far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement