• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cristian Decu

Localized subdivision

This topic is 867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello fellow game programmers,

I'm working on a real time planet renderer and for now, i'm using a brute force technique, no LOD. I need to find a way to subdivide the icosahedron only where it's needed (near the camera && inside the frustum). Information on this issue are rather scarce and way to generalized. I was wondering what's the best way to do it?

Is using octrees a good ideea? Is there a working implementation that i can peek into?

I got something inside my head, however my ideas are way too mixed up now to come with a solution by my own (and i really don't want to reinvent the wheel here).

Thank you for your time!

Advertisement

Subdividing a planet's surface has approximately nothing to do with an octree.  An octree is for volumes. Unless you are modeling the mantle and core of the planet, it is probably a bad fit.  

The surface of the planet can be generated as a surface mesh or height map or similar.

In games many people start out with huge ideas of "I want many full real-size worlds!"  Then realize that idea is extremely difficult.  Even games like WoW don't reach the content size of Earth.  A few seconds on Google says:

* Currently the WoW with all expansion packs is somewhere between 45-60 square miles.  

* Skyrim's actual navigable overworld is actually on the order of 15-20 square miles.

* Dragon Age Inquisition has two large kingdoms on the map and feels bigger than Skyrim, but is about the same 15-20 square miles of navigable space.

* GTA 5 is about 100 square miles but has a ton of dead space and repeated patterns throughout, it is not dense.

The games do a lot of lying to convince you the world is really a big world.  The biggest games have models that fit inside a real-world city.  Not that it is small, that is an enormous amount of content, but it should give you a sense of scale.  

Those are games where the budget is easier to measure in billions of dollars rather than millions. $0.25B, $0.31B, $0.26B, etc., and they produced under 100 square miles.  Earth has about 60 million square miles of land.

The biggest problems with world-sized games is trying to generate compelling content.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!