• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avianRR

exporting x sessions?

This topic is 6176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Starting tomarrow after work I''m going to back up my current linux server and start experimenting with upgrading it to a newer distrabution. One of the key things I want to set up in it is to have the x-server available on my win2K machine. I''ve tried this before but couldn''t get it to work. The machine I''m installing Linux onto is a P2-350 w/voodoo3 2000 and my win2K machine is an athalon 1G w/GeForce 2MX I''ve been running linux as a server for almost 2 years but I haven''t really done too much with it. used a base install, then read enough of a admin book to get file sharing and ip forwarding working and it''s been sitting there doing it''s job so long I''ve even forgotten how to set up that much! I''ve been putzing with some simple command line apps by using a telnet program but I still have a tendancy to use the familiar old gui on my windows machine. That of course brings me to the brilliant plan to phase myself over to linux. If I can use X from my windows machine to do some development learning and play with some other things I will eventually be able to get used to linux and then one day hopefully I will have woke up to find the Linux-fairie has replaced my win2k with (you guessed it) Linux. Any tips or pointers appreciated.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
TIP: DONT WAIT! The fairy is swamped with work these days, you may have to do it yourself. But no time like the present, eh.

True, but I need a migration period from all the windows programs to finding and getting used to Linux equivelants.
Still no tips on getting an x-windows session exported to a windows system?

If you are talking about duel booting your machine with windows on one partition and Linux on another then you will need something like partition magic so you dont loose your windows system. First defrag your drive and then set up a seperate partition for Linux. After that just install Linux(whichever dist you want) and set up LILO so you can select what system to boot to. If that isnt what you were talking about sorry for wasting the 13 seconds of your life it took to read this

SDB - If you are the only one that can fix it, why are you complaining to me?

If your looking to run X programs from windows, you may want to look into a program called xwin32. Their website is http://www.starnet.com. They have a nice tutorial that will show you how to get it set up. The only problem is that its a 30 day trial period then you have to purchase it. Still worth trying for 30 days to see if thats what you need.

Also I think vnc (or is it vcn?) will allow you to bring up a remote terminal to use X, but I haven''t looked into it that much.

Good Luck!

What are you people, on dope?

quote:
Original post by Hitchhiker90
If your looking to run X programs from windows, you may want to look into a program called xwin32. Their website is http://www.starnet.com. They have a nice tutorial that will show you how to get it set up. The only problem is that its a 30 day trial period then you have to purchase it. Still worth trying for 30 days to see if thats what you need.

I''d prefer something that wasn''t $250. But It''s looking like the best one available right now. It also boast''s OpenGL support! Wonder how good that works. I''ll have to try it just to see. First I have to finish installing Linux on the other machine, then I''ll post back on how that one works.

quote:
Also I think vnc (or is it vcn?) will allow you to bring up a remote terminal to use X, but I haven''t looked into it that much.

Yea, I ran acrost that one but I can''t find out if it supports KDE or GNOME. All the screen shots are of the basic x windows manager. Also it need''s to have software installed on the Linux box to run the x programs. xwin32 will just grab the exported desktop info. On the plus side, it is free.

quote:
Good Luck!

What are you people, on dope?

nope, just caffine.

If anyone else knows of any cheeper ones or even free that work decent please let me know so I can check them out. So far most of what I''ve found are just x emulatior type programs that will let you run x programs on a windows machine.

quote:
Original post by SDB
If you are talking about duel booting your machine with windows on one partition and Linux on another then you will need something like partition magic so you dont loose your windows system. First defrag your drive and then set up a seperate partition for Linux. After that just install Linux(whichever dist you want) and set up LILO so you can select what system to boot to. If that isnt what you were talking about sorry for wasting the 13 seconds of your life it took to read this

SDB - If you are the only one that can fix it, why are you complaining to me?

Nope, I know how to do that. To be a little more clear (I was half asleep when I wrote the first post). I have 2 computers, one running Windows2000 the other will soon be running Slackware 8.0. I want to be able to access the x windows desktop on the Linux system on the windows2000 system. Sorta like a graphical telnet. Of course if all else fails I could spend $20 on a two port KVM switch (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) and just do it that way... Wait? that actually might work better. hmm.... I''ll have to think about that!

I think that the Cygnus project lets you run X under Windows. Did not AT&T have something similar? You probably have OpenGL but it is more like a layer so the Windows driver will be used.

Xwin32 is really cool, once you get everything working.
I have been using it for a few weeks, I think I have had it longer than 30 days. It wont let you use it for longer than 2 hours though, kinda sux if you are doing a huge download, like a new version of linux.

Depending on your disto Remote X may be turned off by default.
I just upgraded and all of a sudden Xwin32 stopped working.
All you have to do is edit the kdmrc file (if your using kdm, I''m NOT talking about KDE). If you are using gdm I think the file is called gdm.conf, I don''t know what file it is if your using xdm. You can find out what one you are using (probably kdm) by typeing "ps x | grep "?dm"" (Where the ? is either a k, g, or x).

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@sbcglobal.net
------------------------------
"Evil attacks from all sides
but the greatest evil attacks
from within." Me
------------------------------

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!