• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Syrena

Stop the Player or Punish Them

This topic is 791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my game, the player can acquire only 2 types of guns, a Sleep Gun(tranquilizer gun) and a charge gun(used for taking out robot guards). My problem is, I don't want the player to kill a human in my game. I could do it so that if the player has the charge gun equipped and attempts to use it against a human, it will just say "command not allowed" or I could allow it but punish the player, for example, diminishing the health of the player.

I know in Metal Gear Solid, if you hit/kill one of the main characters the game, your health will be diminished and it will end if she is killed by Snake. However, in the same game in one of the areas, they disable the use of weapons because in-story it makes sense, but, they could allowed the player to use weapons and just punish them(i.e ending the game or getting caught and having the escape the holding area).

Which is the better approach?

Advertisement

Charge gun?  Like electricity?  Is this a stealth game?  You could have it be that the charge gun will work on humans sort of like a Taser.  Except that the human will always cry out, alerting anyone nearby, and doesn't stun or knock them out for very long, so is worse in every way over the dart gun.

Edited by ferrous

Charge gun like electricity, right?

Just make your guards wear rubber shoes so they can't be electrocuted or something.

Also make sure you can't shoot people multiple times with Tranquilizers, they may overdose.

Having environmental conditions to prevent certain usage of guns would work better.  But then you'd be restricted to only allow other human players in that area of the game.

It really depends on what type of game you're creating.

Perhaps give us a little more info?

Charge gun?  Like electricity?  Is this a stealth game?  You could have it be that the charge gun will work on humans sort of like a Taser.  Except that the human will always cry out, alerting anyone nearby, and doesn't stun or knock them out for very long, so is worse in every way over the dart gun.

It's a spy text adventure game. So yes, stealth game if you want to call it that.

In many games EMP weapons can be seen. This is a kind of weapon that creates electro-magnetic pulses that disable vehicles but ignores creatures.

Here, I have another idea: computer viruses. Just replace your "charge gun" with a virus-deploying mobile device or a hacking-pad, and everything will turn out fine(and a little nerdy :) ).

Oh I have some more ideas that may be useful for you:

-Human guards wear special reflective armors, firing charge weapons will reflect the pulse into player himself.

-The guards are previously the player's friends or whatever. Hurting them will cause mental pain, and  maybe will disrupt the user's control for a sec or two.

-The player believes in some religion or is cursed. Hurting others will hurt himself through some mysterious way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!