Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ApochPiQ

VS2013 Annoyance - Linking after compile errors

This topic is 861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

For the life of me I can't remember if this has always been the case, but recently I've noticed that in a large project, I can trigger a compile error in some arbitrary translation unit, and the build process will happily go on to attempt to link the executable anyways.

I swear this used to be a hard build failure and that linking would only be attempted if compilation is clean. I'm too lazy to reinstall some ancient VS version and check, though :-P


Am I going insane? Or did I accidentally flip one of the billion and a half configuration switches someplace? I want my build to DIE if I didn't compile cleanly. (For reference, a compile takes a couple seconds to check when changes are confined to a translation unit. Linking takes a good minute and a half at the best of times, so I'm stuck hammering Ctrl+Break until the damn thing gives up, which often leaves MsBuild in a broken state, so the situation is pretty lame.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
For the life of me I can't remember if this has always been the case, but recently I've noticed that in a large project, I can trigger a compile error in some arbitrary translation unit, and the build process will happily go on to attempt to link the executable anyways.

I swear this used to be a hard build failure and that linking would only be attempted if compilation is clean. I'm too lazy to reinstall some ancient VS version and check, though :-P

 

 

This also happens to me too, although I'm using VS2015. Began happening after I installed Update 2, maybe they also released an update for 2013 that somehow contained the same errors too?

 

I belive this has something to do with partial recompilation being broken/bugged (the thingy using the new IOBJ/IPDB-thingy, does VS2013 even have that?), since I also get different, but similar errors:

 

- After changing the definition of some method, say from "void foo(int)" to "void foo(float)" I get an "unresolved symbol "void foo(int)" error in some modules that use this function (from projects using the DLL of the project that exports this function). This sometimes goes away if I make another change to the function, sometimes only with recompile.

 

- Broken symbols in projects that use this DLL after modifying the API, eigther "this cpp differs from the one compiled", or sometimes straightfoward "no symbols were loaded".

 

- Straightfoward crashes in depending projects after making some changes at random, nonsensical places - I quadripple checked those, they were merely related to a compiler bug and went way after a recompile.

 

- After removing some class members, natvis/intellisense sometimes still points to the old "version" of the class and shows garabage data, while the programm will run happily.

 

Seems like I got a lot more different problems than you, but I belive they all fit in the same scheme. Those are mostly resolved by a complete recompile. Happens on both my PC and my laptop, both after I installed the latest update.

Good to see someone else is having this too (or rather sad), also started to belive I am going insane at some point...

Its also goddamn annoying, having to recompile like 10 times a day...

Edited by Juliean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!