The Quest for Donuts - new orchestral piece

Started by
5 comments, last by lowfatstrings 7 years, 10 months ago

Here's another new for you all - The Quest for Donuts. Because who doesn't love donuts.

Okay.... okay, that's not the REAL title for this piece but the game, this piece was going to be published in, ended up not coming out. I was able to get permission to post this piece for my demo reel, so here we are.

It's been a little while, maybe three weeks or so, since I heard it in my office studio and now there are things I don't like as much about it. But I can't go back and change anything, since I no longer have access to that rig. The composition, though, feels good to me. I just wish the production was a bit different. However, I'm always my worst critic.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Hi, that's a nice composition for donuts :)

Some critical points that came to my mind:

- The texture is a bit thin at some points. Some quick arpeggio/scaleruns could be added for that or some more octaves/instruments and rhythmic emphasis in the backing.

- Drums sound somewhat plastic when they are at full power.

Very nice work, reminds me of the band Summoning!

Yep, can definitely see the Main Donut being introduced as an epic, troubled but ultimately sprinkly sweet fellow with a heart of chocolate.

I love the boisterous and hopeful atmosphere the piece has, it sounds like a great introductionary soundtrack for a game. Also reminds me a bit of Super Smash Brothers music; I think because of some of the melodic themes/rhythmic patterns, and because of the variation in thematic content.
Like Kasu said, the drums do sound a bit plasticky/out of place. Apart from that, perhaps more variation in the overall dynamics would help bring out the climactic bits somewhat more.

Thoroughly enjoying this! :D

Yeah, I agree on all of those points. Like I mentioned before, I don't have access to the rig anymore so I only have this master audio file. I wish I could go back into the session itself and make these changes as I hear it too. :( Such is life. I do like the overall idea, however!

Thanks so much for the listens and the feedback!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This was a catchy tune btw. I noticed myself humming it a long time after listening it a few times :D

Thanks!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Did I hear a bit of choir right at 1:48? If so, I'd definitely like to hear more of that at the end and have it come out more. You could just have them singing "ahh" or whatever and it could keep going right to the end and would sound awesome I think. Great piece!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement