• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By mark_braga
      I have a pretty good experience with multi gpu programming in D3D12. Now looking at Vulkan, although there are a few similarities, I cannot wrap my head around a few things due to the extremely sparse documentation (typical Khronos...)
      In D3D12 -> You create a resource on GPU0 that is visible to GPU1 by setting the VisibleNodeMask to (00000011 where last two bits set means its visible to GPU0 and GPU1)
      In Vulkan - I can see there is the VkBindImageMemoryDeviceGroupInfoKHR struct which you add to the pNext chain of VkBindImageMemoryInfoKHR and then call vkBindImageMemory2KHR. You also set the device indices which I assume is the same as the VisibleNodeMask except instead of a mask it is an array of indices. Till now it's fine.
      Let's look at a typical SFR scenario:  Render left eye using GPU0 and right eye using GPU1
      You have two textures. pTextureLeft is exclusive to GPU0 and pTextureRight is created on GPU1 but is visible to GPU0 so it can be sampled from GPU0 when we want to draw it to the swapchain. This is in the D3D12 world. How do I map this in Vulkan? Do I just set the device indices for pTextureRight as { 0, 1 }
      Now comes the command buffer submission part that is even more confusing.
      There is the struct VkDeviceGroupCommandBufferBeginInfoKHR. It accepts a device mask which I understand is similar to creating a command list with a certain NodeMask in D3D12.
      So for GPU1 -> Since I am only rendering to the pTextureRight, I need to set the device mask as 2? (00000010)
      For GPU0 -> Since I only render to pTextureLeft and finally sample pTextureLeft and pTextureRight to render to the swap chain, I need to set the device mask as 1? (00000001)
      The same applies to VkDeviceGroupSubmitInfoKHR?
      Now the fun part is it does not work  . Both command buffers render to the textures correctly. I verified this by reading back the textures and storing as png. The left texture is sampled correctly in the final composite pass. But I get a black in the area where the right texture should appear. Is there something that I am missing in this? Here is a code snippet too
      void Init() { RenderTargetInfo info = {}; info.pDeviceIndices = { 0, 0 }; CreateRenderTarget(&info, &pTextureLeft); // Need to share this on both GPUs info.pDeviceIndices = { 0, 1 }; CreateRenderTarget(&info, &pTextureRight); } void DrawEye(CommandBuffer* pCmd, uint32_t eye) { // Do the draw // Begin with device mask depending on eye pCmd->Open((1 << eye)); // If eye is 0, we need to do some extra work to composite pTextureRight and pTextureLeft if (eye == 0) { DrawTexture(0, 0, width * 0.5, height, pTextureLeft); DrawTexture(width * 0.5, 0, width * 0.5, height, pTextureRight); } // Submit to the correct GPU pQueue->Submit(pCmd, (1 << eye)); } void Draw() { DrawEye(pRightCmd, 1); DrawEye(pLeftCmd, 0); }  
    • By turanszkij
      Hi,
      I finally managed to get the DX11 emulating Vulkan device working but everything is flipped vertically now because Vulkan has a different clipping space. What are the best practices out there to keep these implementation consistent? I tried using a vertically flipped viewport, and while it works on Nvidia 1050, the Vulkan debug layer is throwing error messages that this is not supported in the spec so it might not work on others. There is also the possibility to flip the clip scpace position Y coordinate before writing out with vertex shader, but that requires changing and recompiling every shader. I could also bake it into the camera projection matrices, though I want to avoid that because then I need to track down for the whole engine where I upload matrices... Any chance of an easy extension or something? If not, I will probably go with changing the vertex shaders.
    • By Alexa Savchenko
      I publishing for manufacturing our ray tracing engines and products on graphics API (C++, Vulkan API, GLSL460, SPIR-V): https://github.com/world8th/satellite-oem
      For end users I have no more products or test products. Also, have one simple gltf viewer example (only source code).
      In 2016 year had idea for replacement of screen space reflections, but in 2018 we resolved to finally re-profile project as "basis of render engine". In Q3 of 2017 year finally merged to Vulkan API. 

• By tanzanite7
      vkQueuePresentKHR is busy waiting - ie. wasting all the CPU cycles while waiting for vsync. Expected, sane, behavior would of course be akin to Sleep(0) till it can finish.
      Windows 7, GeForce GTX 660.
      Is this a common problem? Is there anything i can do to make it behave properly?
    • By mark_braga
      I am working on reusing as many command buffers as I can by pre-recording them at load time. This gives a significant boost on CPU although now I cannot get the GPU timestamps since there is no way to read back. I Map the readback buffer before and Unmap it after reading is done. Does this mean I need a persistently mapped readback buffer?
      void Init() { beginCmd(cmd); cmdBeginQuery(cmd); // Do a bunch of stuff cmdEndQuery(cmd); endCmd(cmd); } void Draw() { CommandBuffer* cmd = commands[frameIdx]; submit(cmd); } The begin and end query do exactly what the names say.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Vulkan Vulkan render-call performance drain

This topic is 703 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My Vulkan program is running extremely slow, and I'm trying to figure out why. I've noticed that even a few draw-calls already drain the performance far more than they should.

For instance, here's an extract(Pseudocode) for rendering a few meshes:

int32_t numCalls = 0;
int32_t numIndices = 0;
for(auto &mesh : meshes)
{
	auto vertexBuffer = mesh.GetVertexBuffer();
	auto indexBuffer = mesh.GetIndexBuffer();

vk::DeviceSize offset = 0;
	drawCmd.bindVertexBuffers(0,1,&vertexBuffer,&offset); // drawCmd = CommandBuffer for all drawing commands (single thread)
	drawCmd.bindIndexBuffer(indexBuffer,offset,vk::IndexType::eUint16);

drawCmd.drawIndexed(mesh.GetIndexCount(),1,0,0,0);

numIndices += mesh.GetIndexCount();
	++numCalls;
}

There are 238 meshes being rendered, with a total vertex index count of 52050. The GPU is definitely not overburdened (The shaders are extremely cheap).

If I run my program with the code above, the frame is being rendered in approximately 46ms. Without it it's a mere 9ms.

I'm using fifo present mode with 2 swapchain images. Only a primary command buffer at this time (No secondary command buffers/pre-recorded buffers), same buffer for all frames.

My problem is, I don't really know what to look for. These few rendering calls should barely make a dent, so the source of the problem must be somewhere else.

Can anyone give me any hints how I should tackle this? Are the any profilers around for Vulkan already?

I just need a nudge in the right direction.

// EDIT:

So, it looks like vkDeviceWaitIdle takes about 32ms to execute, if all 238 meshes are rendered. (If none are rendered, it's < 1ms).

Most of the stalling stems from there, but I still don't know what to do about it.

Edited by Silverlan

Advertisement
If you wait for the device every frame you're basically synchronizing the CPU with the GPU, not allowing the CPU to work ahead on more commands. Like calling glFlush/glFinish every frame.

That's fine, except for the fact that the GPU isn't done with its work for 32 ms, so either way the GPU work is taking forever.

What GPU do you have?  Also since drivers are immature have you updated to the latest version?

I don't know vulkan but I noticed you're using a seperate vertex and index buffer per mesh and rebinding for each mesh in your mesh list.  This might cause a performance problem... try putting your meshes into the minimum number of vertex and index buffers and see what happens.

edit - also how many command buffers is your 238 meshes divided among? (one if I read correctly)

also are you sorting your meshes front to back? or by texture?

edit - how many triangles per mesh?  Also the code you provided is an example or your actual code?

Edited by Infinisearch

Are you using different Queues for present and render or the same Queue?

Have you tried using fences on the present operation instead of vkDeviceWaitIdle? The documentation suggests that vkDeviceWaitIdle should be used to wait in a shutdown situation, so it might be rather pessimistic in some implementations.

Vulkan's timeout functions are typically bound to the OS' timing granularity, which is usually 16ms on Windows (IIRC). Another way to make sure the driver really waits 32ms is to set the timing granularity to 1ms. Chrome does this by default, for example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement