• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SnicketyLemon

Ideas for laser charge up

This topic is 854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Try as I might, I cant seem to come up with any good laser charge up sounds :( the sound is supposed to be for the charge up of a infantry units blaster, but I cant seem to figure out what I might do to imitate it. Any ideas are welcome, thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

Does it need to loop? Or can it be a one-off?

Seems to me layering some synth sounds which have some glide built in, along with some whoosh elements could work well - when produced right.

Is this something you're looking to make yourself or just something you need? Does it need to be 100% original sounds that you've created or could you purchase some sound effects and then further edit/produce them along with some of your original content?

The sounds a one-off, and I was hoping to make it 100% original but it doesn't really need to be, got any suggestions of where I should buy some sounds? thanks for the reply btw

Just asking the obvious question here: Have you been layering your sounds? You can't easily find or come up with a laser charge up sound as one sound.

Most likely you need (as nsmadsen mentioned):

- Some build up sound that pitches up

- some whooshes

- maybe something electronic here and there

- maybe something mechanical depending on the weapon

- maybe some machine starting up

- maybe some pulsing effect on the master of build-up sounds

- maybe flanger or chorus effect on master

Layer them up in your DAW and see what you can come up with. And most importantly: think of the actual weapon. What makes it interesting, what is it made of, what are the interesting little sounds it could make etc. :)

Have you considered using a camera flash charging sound as your base sound and playing wiry the pitch and speed?

I find I get the best sounds from real world sources...

Also, is there a website or somewhere I can learn all of the sound designer lingo? I find that there's a whole lot of terms or abbreviations that im lost on, but try as I might, I cant seem to find a site that has the info i'm looking for. Mostly just things on foly artists (which ive already checked out).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!