Ideas for laser charge up

Started by
6 comments, last by SnicketyLemon 7 years, 11 months ago

Try as I might, I cant seem to come up with any good laser charge up sounds :( the sound is supposed to be for the charge up of a infantry units blaster, but I cant seem to figure out what I might do to imitate it. Any ideas are welcome, thanks in advance :)

-Matt

Advertisement

Does it need to loop? Or can it be a one-off?

Seems to me layering some synth sounds which have some glide built in, along with some whoosh elements could work well - when produced right.

Is this something you're looking to make yourself or just something you need? Does it need to be 100% original sounds that you've created or could you purchase some sound effects and then further edit/produce them along with some of your original content?

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

The sounds a one-off, and I was hoping to make it 100% original but it doesn't really need to be, got any suggestions of where I should buy some sounds? thanks for the reply btw

-Matt

btw, still an amateur so forgive me if I end up asking about things that would be obvious to most sound designers

-Matt

Just asking the obvious question here: Have you been layering your sounds? You can't easily find or come up with a laser charge up sound as one sound.

Most likely you need (as nsmadsen mentioned):

- Some build up sound that pitches up

- some whooshes

- maybe something electronic here and there

- maybe something mechanical depending on the weapon

- maybe some machine starting up

- maybe some pulsing effect on the master of build-up sounds

- maybe flanger or chorus effect on master

Layer them up in your DAW and see what you can come up with. And most importantly: think of the actual weapon. What makes it interesting, what is it made of, what are the interesting little sounds it could make etc. :)

Have you considered using a camera flash charging sound as your base sound and playing wiry the pitch and speed?

I find I get the best sounds from real world sources...

Great ideas guys, Ill try experimenting with some of them and see what might work best, thanks for the help! :)

-Matt

Also, is there a website or somewhere I can learn all of the sound designer lingo? I find that there's a whole lot of terms or abbreviations that im lost on, but try as I might, I cant seem to find a site that has the info i'm looking for. Mostly just things on foly artists (which ive already checked out).

-Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement