• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Blackson

DEMO: WINDSWEPT, A.G Racing that demands skill

This topic is 760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I wanna tell you about my demo for windswept.

Windswept is an Anti gravity racer where skill is king, modeled after super bike racing and requiring the reflexes of a cat on acid, turn away now if you dont know what the "brakes are". If your motto is burn out before you fade away take a look. This demo is to test if the controls and feel of the craft are working together, oh yeah, and set the A.I. difficulty.

Can you beat the A.I.?

This guy says its too hard and wants a skill level option for noob, what do you think?

Just download it and have some fun 

(P:S this A.I. is currently brutal, only one who allied with the force "might" stand a chance)

https://bernardbell.itch.io/windswept

Edited by Blackson

Advertisement

Hi All, A huge thank you to all those around the forums who tested and gave your insights on the first demo. I have integrated the most critical feedback into a new input controls test demo. Get it from https://bernardbell.itch.io/windswept

Please try the game again and let me know if its better (I know it is :P , thanks again!)

amthRq.jpg

Downloading now.  This looks amazing!  I loved the old N-64 F-Zero, and this looks like it might just capture some of the feeling of that game.  The Gamecube one seemed too ... I don't know ... easy?  I will come back with some feedback once I try it.

Really cool!  The second version is definitely improved.  I like the controls, but it's still a bit tough to take turns.  I know this is kind of the point, but it seems there should be a slow down mechanic, to facilitate turning.  Perhaps I missed it. 

Also, I accidentally pressed "q" while racing, and I lost control of the vehicle. 

Overall great quality, cool graphics and fun racing.  I would like to see a bit more action at the end of a race, showing the winners and such...

@MKSchmidt, Thank you! I appreciated the feedback, do you mean to have an auto break driving aid? Sorry about  "q" I was trying to add a crash mechanic but didnt finish, that was test key :)

Edited by Blackson

Yes.  I don't want to force you to make your game into F-Zero, so maybe you can think of a different way to accomplish the same think, however, in F-Zero, you could use the right and left controller buttons to tilt the vehicle, making it easier to do sharp turns at high speed.  They also had a break button, so you could slow down.  ( I saw that your game has a break button - down or s - but it does not seem to slow down the vehicle noticeably faster than just not pressing w)  Learning where and how to use each of these buttons allowed experienced players to really improve their lap times.

But maybe there's a unique way your game could achieve similar results.  I'll throw out some ideas here, just brainstorming:

1. Breaks or tilt like F-Zero

2. Maybe a temporary power, like shields and boost, that lets you turn sharper angles at high speed

3. maybe sharp turns could have a bank, which clever players could access but others might miss, and be forced to slow down

4. a grappling hook that latches on to the wall and lets you turn very quickly - it would be hard to use for beginners, but essential for winning

Anyway, these are just some initial ideas.  Take what you like and ignore the rest. 

Hi MKSchmidt. Interesting ideas, I think I should have a look at F-Zero again (its been a long while), I hear you on the turning with flaps vs airbrakes, I wouldn't mind adding an extra skill feature and extra layer to maneuvering. Thanks for the feedback!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!