• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
anto80

CipherPusher : Action/Puzzle with blocks, vortexes & seafood [C++/Allegro]

This topic is 848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all,

In my spare time, I'm working a on an Action/Puzzle game called “Cipher Pusher” and I'd like to tell you about it.
It's about blocks, vortexes & seafood.

Here's the trailer :

" title="External link">

Cipher Pusher

Cipher Pusher is a 2D top down Action/Puzzle game where you will have to push, carry, rotate, and connect some blocks!
But wait you can also remote-push, multi-push several blocks at a time, perform chain reactions… to achieve even greater combos!
You play as an astronaut without any weapon… and though you will have to dodge thousands of missiles, encounter hostile octopus-like lifeforms, experiment strange mechanisms to solve puzzles…

A little history about the project

Cipher Pusher is born from a fructful collaboration with Katinaé and Florent during Global Game Jam 2015. The original theme of the jam (“What do we do now?”) was quite exciting. While making “And I push”, the original purpose was to include as much confusing gameplay elements as possible (such as lots of QTEs, weird feedbacks, audio QTEs...) I wanted to disorient the player, in a top-down 2D world where you have to push blocks. Baffling players by overusing cryptic QTEs was lot of fun, but in the long run, a game like this is surely frustrating. As the initial idea kept on inspiring me in my spare time I continued working on this prototype to smooth user experience. By combining Action with Puzzle, the game now provides straightforward arcade/action rooms as gameplay base. This gives a simple approach which may lead you progressively to more enigmatic and complicated places. I attended these local events to get a lot of feedback during the design process, listening to every kind of player. I don't implement an 'answer' to every remark, because I also have a vision where I want to go, but I try to take into account every clever move that fits into my game type.

Dev info

I'm coding this game in C++. And I'm also coding its engine, based on Allegro 5.

vid_270_140_devilfish-overkill-cipherpusvid_180_140_yellowray-push-cipherpusher.
vid_340_255_cipherpusher-chainreaction-lvid_340_255_cipherpusher-familyconnect-svid_340_255_mediumcombo12-cipherpusher.gvid_340_255_pressy-fireball-cipherpushervid_340_255_cipherpusher-fireballs-parti
cipherpusher-monolith-animated-1603.gifvid_340_255_allegrologo_anim_anto80.gif

I have been using C,C++,Allegro since 2000 (and before that I was using Basic and Pascal!)
My first Allegro game attempt is
" title="External link">this 2D vertical shooter (DOS, 2000, C, Allegro 3.12, 256 colors)
Here are also:
" title="External link">a Tetris clone (2003, C, Allegro 4)
a
" title="External link">"Dance Dance Revolution" mix selector (2011, C++, Allegro 4)
a
" title="External link">tool to organize "fair" videogame music blindtests (2013, C++, Allegro 4)
more projects can be found on my webpage or my small youtube channel
None of these old projects were ever released. I did this for fun, and for learning purposes.
(They couldn't have been released anyway, because of all these assets coming from other games)

Steam Greenlight & spread the word

Let's go back to Cipher Pusher.
I have great pleasure in launching its Steam Greenlight !

If you liked the trailer, or my previous work, please go to Steam website and vote YES here !

As you probably know, this is important because it will allow the game to get published.

If you want to help much more, it's possible! :) You can help us by spreading the word !
• on Facebook : Share this post https://www.facebook.com/CipherPusher/posts/1337700546245272
• on Twitter : RT this tweet https://twitter.com/elbloco80/status/732541118806659073

Thanks A LOT for your time!

Advertisement

Awesome work. Keep it up!

Thanks for your kind words!

Well, it was rather fast: Cipher Pusher got Greenlit in < 10 days. :blink:

Thanks to all people who played/voted/commented/spread !

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!