• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

Quadtree/Octree on ramp

This topic is 854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

when the geometry is inclined,
how do I generate a quadtree
for that area?
for a octree, it doesn't seem to fit the ramp at all

Advertisement
What is your tree attempting to accomplish? There are many options but the tradeoffs depend on what you want to do with the partitioning structure.

It's for pathfinding purpose.

I just want to achieve the same thing as Recast for real-time update of the navmesh (you probably know what Recast is)

but this time with quadtree....

Thanks

Jack

Recast voxelizes the world and uses that data to generate a polygon soup that is refined into the navmesh.

Is that what you want to do? Or something else? I still don't follow what you want the quadtree to be doing here.

Hmmm, let's build up a scenario, let's say a tractor of a truck arrives in the scene for my game.

Some NPCs are allowed to enter the tractor to search for stuff or pick up stuff.

And there is a wood blab to bridge the entrance of the warehouse and the tractor,

and this bridging wood is inclined, some vehicles therefore need a climb up this inclined wood,

And the quadtree map is extended. But the quads are usually flat, and don't allow

inclinations, I wonder how to go about solving this problem?

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Why can't your quadtree accommodate inclined quads? Most implementations handle arbitrary polygons effortlessly...

Okay, got some idea... When dividing the quads. I got the bounding boxes, right

And I put the inclined side vertexes with some positive y value....

Is it okay to do so?

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!