• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lutfi Baker

Unity How to make Lobby and login systems For multiplayer Fps Game

This topic is 791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

To Be Honest it's my first time here ... me and team of 8 guys are making multiplayer fps game with unity ( we have already desgined the game (From weapons to players , we are working on the maps ) we have 4 guys know languages (C# / OpenGl / C++ and other languages ( am not the coder so idk so much things about it ) ( we all learned through videos ) ... our problem is with lobby and login system how those are made (the lobby not only rooms i mean also the store , warehouse and setting ...) so can u give me links to where should i go to learn making these things or if u can explain how they are made.

Thanks Alot

Advertisement

If you and 8 other people can't figure this out, then perhaps this is beyond the scope of what you should be creating?

In the last online fps I created, I used Java and OpenGL. I would imagine the programming flow would be similar to that of Unity.

I set my game up with a game-state, where if the game-state was set to "playing" it would treat incoming packets normally and move entities around the 3d space properly. If the game-state was set to "lobby" it would force all the client to draw a UI over the game, and the UI would display things like player names and a server-sided counter until the game would start.

Things like in-game purchases would be a little harder to set up. I believe the easiest thing would to have your own game currency, where users could trade in money for the currency. Then purchasing in-game items would be as simple as checking the users current balance and applying an item.

However, the actual currency exchange might be difficult to create. You would need to create a system that detects when a user sends money (maybe from paypal), and then if the payment is confirmed you need to credit their account and notify the customer that it was successful.

Good luck.

Edited by orange451

Yeaaaaaaah... if you've learned mostly through videos you may have a hard time implementing this. It is more involved than what people will credit it for.

There's a number of concepts you need to be familiar with before you can get this multiplayer game up and running.

You need to understand these topics. Sockets, TCP, UDP, threads, DNS, NAT punchthrough, and buffers.

Network Programming is pretty tricky. And will generally require two sockets on the client and server side (recieve and sending data asynchornously). And an expert handling of threads, processes, OR other methods the OS may provide.

UDP tends to be the most popular choice by major gamedevelopers. As it allows you to use the NAT punchthrough technique to avoid the need for port forwarding. However, in your case TCP will work just fine.

Once your entire team understands this. You can start worrying about lobbying systems.

There are plenty of books you can pick up that will explain these concepts to you. And also lobbying, microtransations, etc.

Edited by Tangletail

Personally I'd recommend looking into integrating the Steamworks API since it can accommodate these things and you would not need to develop a cluster of complicated systems from scratch inside a framework that is touted as making game development easy. I would favor an API over trying to develop code that needs to integrate with hardware, inside Unity, any day of the week. If Steamworks isn't a good fit look for another library which has a Unity integration available, I am sure there are countless solutions unique to Unity.

Your programmers need to get used to researching exactly this sort of stuff or they will only ever learn from tutorials (video/written).

Ok all of that helped alot ... Actually I found out that they found somethings that explains things of what u said but as i said all we learned was from internet tutorials so it looked complicated for a game creating and now we know that we were in the right way.
Thanks alot orange451 , tangletail , coope .

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!