• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Foxito Foxeh

OpenGL Antialiasing in 3D with Core OpenGL (Windows)

This topic is 936 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been searching for a way to do antialiasing in Core OpenGL (OpenGL 1.1). I need to create antialiasing but when I looked in other sites as SO or StackExchange I saw answers like "Implement your own antialiasing", and I was just like... I want to learn HOW to create antialiasing.
So my question is, what do I need to learn to create my own antialiasing implementation?
Since there is not antialiasing in GL 1.1 and I strictly have to use 1.1, HOW do I create antialiasing?
What do I need to read and learn?

Is there some code to learn? I need to find what and how AA works in OpenGL to make my AA implementation.

I'm using depth test so please don't suggest line_smooth, neither suggest gl_multisampling because, again, I strictly need to use OpenGL 1.1, not 1.3 or above.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate if you can help me

Advertisement

There are many ways to reduce aliasing in a rendered image. Nowadays antialiasing is commonly implemented as a post processing step, but that would require shaders. Since GL_LINE_SMOOTH and GL_MULTISAMPLE are also out of the question pretty much your only chance would be to implement super sampling using the accumulation buffer. You basically draw the scene multiple times and offset the view a little each time.

May I ask why on earth you would restrict yourself to a 19 year old API?

You should be able to smooth edges with alpha-blended lines or similar after all your regular geometry is drawn (using depth-testing but not depth-writes). I would imagine GL_LINE_SMOOTH could work fine there with depth-testing..

Your question is tagged with OpenGL ES but the title says Windows, do you do OpenGL ES on desktop or regular OpenGL?

Thanks, I will try accumulation, I read the post and looks interesting!
I just found how to do Motion Blur but there was not explanation of how accumulation worked, and the FRONT and BACK buffer tips are awesome too!
Thanks kolrabi!

And Erik, GL_LINE_SMOOTH  is not working when depth_test is enabled but anyways, GL_LINE_SMOOTH  is not a good antialiasing. And about the tag... yeah, It's windows desktop but didn't find other OpenGl tag... jajajaja :P 

I was always thrilled with the solution of double resolution target resampled to actual screen size. It creates edge antialiasing, plus corrects the texture frequencies (texure antialiasing) without bluring actual texture content. The overkill is fillrate bound, but quite serious though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!