Directx 12, Unity, etc. : Confusing

Started by
0 comments, last by Infinisearch 7 years, 11 months ago
Windows 10 C++ A few years ago I started learning Directx 9: had to stop realizing i needed to study C++ a lot more!! Then life circumsatnces stopped all further progress ... Now i have time and still have the "burning desire" for game programming! BUT now it's Directx 12 (much, much more complex) and i read about Unity and MonoDevelopp and ... This is, for me, very confusing!!!! My aim is to developp a 1 player action game. I know that 1st i will write simpler games than what i am aiming for (like tic-tac-toe, Tetris style game, etc.). I do not know which way to go!! I don't have preconceived positions, i am open to what would work the best!! As for the programming language i feel i am too far into C++ to just abandon it, and not far enough to make a transition to C# an easy thing (although "you do what you have to")!!
Advertisement

If you're now comfortable with C++ then move on otherwise get a handle on C++ first. However Unity uses C# so you'd either a be better off learning Unreal instead of Unity or learning C# since unity uses C#. Unreal uses C++ and something called blueprints. If you go with an engine you don't really need to learn a graphics API. If you do want to learn DX12 for example you'd be better off learning DX11 first... alot of the concepts from 11 are used in 12. Vulkan is also a viable option for a new graphics API so you can look into that. For your simple games in C++ look into SFML, SDL, Allegro, and Clanlib for simple 2d graphics. As far as what to program first just pick something simple and stick with it.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement