• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rogueyoshi

My Texture to HBITMAP function leaks and I don't know why...

This topic is 853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It works fine, but will crash about 20 seconds after execution on my machine. I can't figure out where the leak is.

HBITMAP CDirectXWrapper::Capture()
{
	D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC textureDesc = m_textureDesc;
	textureDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_STAGING;
	textureDesc.BindFlags = 0;
	textureDesc.CPUAccessFlags = D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_READ | D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_WRITE;
	//textureDesc.MiscFlags = 0;

ComPtr<ID3D11Texture2D> texture;
	DX::ThrowIfFailed(
		m_d3dDevice->CreateTexture2D(&textureDesc, nullptr, texture.ReleaseAndGetAddressOf())
	);
	m_d3dContext->CopyResource(texture.Get(), m_texture.Get());

D3D11_MAPPED_SUBRESOURCE mappedSubresource;
	m_d3dContext->Map(texture.Get(), D3D11CalcSubresource(0, 0, 0), D3D11_MAP_READ_WRITE, 0, &mappedSubresource);

// Copy subresource data to buffer.
	uint8_t *source = reinterpret_cast<uint8_t*>(mappedSubresource.pData);
	uint8_t *destination = new uint8_t[textureDesc.Width * textureDesc.Height * 4];
	size_t size = std::min<size_t>(textureDesc.Width * 4, mappedSubresource.RowPitch);

for (size_t h = 0; h < textureDesc.Height; h++)
	{
		memcpy_s(destination, textureDesc.Width * 4, source, size);
		source += mappedSubresource.RowPitch;
		destination += textureDesc.Width * 4;
	}

destination -= textureDesc.Width * textureDesc.Height * 4;

// Copy buffer to bitmap.
	HDC hDC = GetDC(NULL);
	HBITMAP	hBitmap = CreateCompatibleBitmap(hDC, textureDesc.Width, textureDesc.Height);
	SetBitmapBits(hBitmap, textureDesc.Width * textureDesc.Height * 4, destination);

ReleaseDC(NULL, hDC);

return hBitmap;
}

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
For starters, you assign new[]’d memory to destination, but you don’t delete[] it. You may also consider using std::vector instead, so you only need to make an allocation for every time the source image grows, instead of allocating every frame.

For starters, you assign new[]’d memory to destination, but you don’t delete[] it. You may also consider using std::vector instead, so you only need to make an allocation for every time the source image grows, instead of allocating every frame.

Could I have a code example?

// assuming std::vector<uint8_t> CDirectXWrapper::image_buffer;

image_buffer.resize(textureDesc.Width * textureDesc.Height * 4); // may or may not trigger realloc
uint8_t* destination = image_buffer.data();

// assuming std::vector<uint8_t> CDirectXWrapper::image_buffer;

image_buffer.resize(textureDesc.Width * textureDesc.Height * 4); // may or may not trigger realloc
uint8_t* destination = image_buffer.data();

Thank you! I was wondering if it was because I forgot to deallocate something DX related but, ha.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!