Game engine .net?

Started by
2 comments, last by Shannon Barber 7 years, 8 months ago

Quick question.

As .net Core is now open source cross platform, i was wondering if there is, or in the works a game engine that will utilize this.
As far as i know Unity isn't going to buy stick with there mono implementation. Has anyone heard anything different? Or know of a .net core engine out there?

Advertisement

I dont think that there will be something like a C# core game engine arround so long because there are other well established projects like OpenTK or Mono Game as continious port for XNA out there, also C# even if its source is available is too slow and too limitted for a high scaling game engine.

As an example, I manage whole memory allocation/disallocation by myselfe in my C++ game engine and do other things with the memory like saving parts of RAM to disk in savegames. I think to achieve this in C# it would take a whole lot of hacks to the GC and memory model that may casue the engine to be unstable.

That is not a reason to not support C# because it is a great coding language at least for tools so I have provided any bindings to the engine as interopt calls what works well too.

I dont think that there will be something like a C# core game engine arround so long because there are other well established projects like OpenTK or Mono Game as continious port for XNA out there, also C# even if its source is available is too slow and too limitted for a high scaling game engine.

As an example, I manage whole memory allocation/disallocation by myselfe in my C++ game engine and do other things with the memory like saving parts of RAM to disk in savegames. I think to achieve this in C# it would take a whole lot of hacks to the GC and memory model that may casue the engine to be unstable.

That is not a reason to not support C# because it is a great coding language at least for tools so I have provided any bindings to the engine as interopt calls what works well too.

Those performance issues are rapidly evaporating with new design patterns and .net updates, really. This isn't an age where we have to worry about a couple dozen MB of memory allocation, we only need to make sure the GC cleans it effectively.

Here's a list of game engines written in C#

http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=&name=&developer_name=&status=&languages_written_in_ids%5B%5D=3

I think it's still too new for anything mainstream to integrate with it.

I am tentatively planning on switching my stuff over to .NET Core but when I looked into it before it wasn't ready yet (it was a long ways off).

Switching to .NET Core is actually a bit of a downgrade. Most of .NET 4 does run under Mono on Linux so my motivation isn't too high to switch other than the future of Mono is a bit dubious now.

(They got WinForms working ... then abandoned it which never made a lot of sense to me. They claimed it was buggy but it seemed to work well enough. Then Miguel started working for Microsoft.)

The future of .NET Core is also a bit dubious. It's unlikely that Microsoft will keep supporting it if they can't monetize it.

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement