Adding a theme to a prototype

Started by
4 comments, last by Kk1496 7 years, 11 months ago
Last week I started prototyping a game. It's a 2d casual game for iOS that combines the idea of disney's tsumtsum with the objectives and level systems found in match three ages like candy crush and farm Heros.

Along with the prototyping, I'd like to start thinking about the theme of the game. Currently, the player is collecting yellow smiley faces (does anyone remember Walmart in the late 1990s?). But I'm not quite sure where to go from here in term of art?

I like how Disney was able to take existing characters and make this sport of thing. But can it work backwards? If someone were to create a bunch of characters and expand on stories in future games (just bouncing ideas here).

Another thing is that I would like to put the prototype out for feedback. Well I've got to call it something and I'm not sure how to come up with that either. But I guess that'll come with the art (you look like a -{insert title}).

Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Hmm you mainly want round objects for your characters in that kind of game. So I'd make a list of things that are more or less round and pick your favorite as the core of the theme. Some examples to start your list:

Eggs - if you collect enough, one hatches as a reward-animation? Merchandisable as fabric eggs which contain baby plush animals

Cookies - like candy crush, cookie clicker

Stars and maybe planets - could have a space theme or perhaps a show business theme

Sports balls of various types - might appeal to an untapped male audience segment compared to existing games

Coins

Sand dollars, sea urchins, anemones, starfish

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Those are some awesome ideas! The egg idea sounds cool. Cooke clicker, that's clever. :)

I like how Disney was able to take existing characters and make this sport of thing. But can it work backwards? If someone were to create a bunch of characters and expand on stories in future games (just bouncing ideas here).

Nintendo uses Super Smash Bros to introduce little-known characters (i.e. "new" to the mainstream) to western audiences. e.g. Bayonetta, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem characters.

Rare tried to do this with Diddy Kong Racing (great game!), trying to use one of Nintendo's established characters (Diddy Kong) and pairing him with six other new characters that Rare was hoping to turn into full games.

Banjo, from the famed Banjo and Khazooie series (these games were already heavily in development while Diddy Kong Racing was being made)
TipTop the turtle, originally supposed to be in Project Dream, but when that game was canceled, TipTop became a super-minor side character appearing in one level in Banjo and Khazooie.
Conker, a friendly squirrel from an upcoming family-friendly platform game that was in early dev, before later becoming a famed much cruder game.

Timber the Tiger, Pipsy the Mouse, and Bumper the Badger, inhabitants of the island Diddy Kong Racing takes place on, possibly also slated for future games?

Rare also had Jet Force Gemini character posters on the interior walls of one of the houses in Banjo and Tooie. Mirror's Edge (Ubisoft) was promoted via a poster in a war game (I forget which), but those are both much milder easter-egg-esqe examples.

Those are some awesome ideas! The egg idea sounds cool. Cooke clicker, that's clever. :)

Erm, Candy Crush and Cookie Clicker are existing games, I was mentioning them because you can see their graphics and audiences as examples.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I know candy crush but cookie clicker I've never heated of. Still a clever name.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement