• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
csisy

Unity QuadTree: design and implementation question, (n+1)th topic

This topic is 784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,

I've implemented a QuadTree but I'm not sure if I'm doing it in the best way. Here is my concept:

First, the basic design of my scene system:

I'm using an object+component system, where the object can be placed in the world but actually does nothing. The objects contain components, eg. RenderableMesh, PointLight, Camera, etc. which are stored by the corresponding system (DisplaySystem, PhysicsSystem and so on).

Some components should be structured by a QuadTree (or any other spatial partitioning tree). These are inherited from a class, let's call it TreeElement. The TreeElement is nothing more just stores a pointer to the container node (which can be modified by the spatial implementation only - friend class) and the world-space bounding volume (AABB) which tells us where to put the object in the tree.

I'm also using a layer-system. The user can define a custom layer and place objects into it. An object belongs to a single layer. Some components have to be stored per layer (it's only the RenderableMesh for now). This way, the user can say that a camera should render only the specific layers. This is similar to the Unity's solution.

And finally, I'm using a simple reflection-system, so I can query the type of a component, like this:

const TypeInfo& t = TypeOf<RenderableMesh>();
// or if I have a pointer to a component
const TypeInfo& t2 = component->GetTypeInfo();

The QuadTree design

Because I wanted to re-use the same implementation over and over again I had to make it generic - at least from the component side of view. When I'm rendering the scene, I have to query the visible RenderableMesh components, so it's more efficient to store the different type of components in different containers in the quad tree.

And here comes the reflection system. When I'm creating the quad tree, a set of type infos can be passed to the constructor, which stores a <typeInfo, id> map. The size of this map determines how many containers will be created for each quad tree node (referred as node in the future). When querying a specific component (like RenderableMesh), the proper container is selected by this map. Like this (sample code)

template <class T>
void CollectElements(std::vector<T*>& result)
{
    auto it = typeIdMap.find(TypeOf<T>());
    // error handling for invald iterator
    const uint32 typeId = it->second;

// ...

for (Node* node : visibleNodes)
    {
        const Node::Elements& elements = node->elements[typeId]; // <--- here

// ...
    }
}

Placing an element into the tree is similar, I have to find the typeId of the component. This whole process made it generic for every component but it's another map search (which is pretty small btw, contains only 1-2 elements).

Another problem is the layer system I'm using. Because some components have to be stored per layer, I ended up using a different quad tree for each layer. So if I have n layer, I have at least n+1 quad tree (+1 for the "global", non-layer-related components).

The QuadTree structure

The whole QuadTree is (re)built when the scene loading is completed or when a transformed object's bound component would be outside of the current quad tree bounds. The rebuilding means to drop all the previos data, create a completely new tree and reinsert all elements.

I'm actually using a hiearchial-grid design like in this article (I've found it after I've done with the implementation :)). It costs more memory, but no run-time merging and splitting is required. And with some maths, the tree's node can be indexed easily without recursion when searching for an element's location. However this is not implemented yet, and I'm using a simple recursive search (which works O(log n) I guess).

Questions

This seems to work but I'm not sure this is the best design.

* Should I use a template quad tree class and store only one type of component in each tree?
* Or should I hardcode every type of component in the quad tree?
* Or just use a single container and store the type of the element (component) as well. And when querying, I get ALL visible elements, iterate over the result and filter the components by its type. - this is pretty bad IMHO

If I'll use the current design, the same QuadTree class can be re-used many times with a cost of another small map search.
Edited by csisy

Advertisement

As I understand QuadTree, it contains object ids or references to game objects, and not components. For me putting a component into a QuadTree is like a grin without a cat. You can access any component through a game object and the appropriate container. This is an extra indirection comparing to your solution, but I don't think it's much slower, especially because it doesn't need to store so much extra data.

Of course you can put some convenience methods in the QuadTree which return components, but it should use the game object and the component containers to do that.

A small optimization is to store the AABB box besides the game object reference in the QuadTree, it might simplify code and makes it a bit faster.

For the layers it's a solution to create a QuadTree for every layer and a common QuadTree containing all the layers. But that sounds like an overkill. Here the best thing you can do is to check which is faster in your case using a single QuadTree or using separated QuadTrees.

Thanks for your reply!

In the past I implemented the QuadTree to store the objects and not components but things changed. :)

An object itself does not have bounds. And if I attach a DirLight component to an object, what would be the AABB of the object? Or if I attach multiple components to the same object, eg. a RenderableMesh and a Collider. The Collider can be "bigger" than the actual mesh which means the two component's bounds are different. This was the reason why I decided to store the components and not the objects.

What's about the 1:1 relation of components and quadtrees? I mean to create a separate quad tree for each sortable component? This solution has the highest memory cost but probably the fastest search. But the extra memory consuption is not a big deal IMHO, it's just a couple extra MB at most.

An object itself does not have bounds. And if I attach a DirLight component to an object, what would be the AABB of the object? Or if I attach multiple components to the same object, eg. a RenderableMesh and a Collider. The Collider can be "bigger" than the actual mesh which means the two component's bounds are different. This was the reason why I decided to store the components and not the objects.

Since QuadTrees are used for collision detection (object-object, object-line, object-frustum, etc), the collision bounds should be used for placing the object in the tree. That means Collider component will give the position and size of the object that is used to place the object in the QuadTree.

Or do you want to use the tree for a different purpose?

What's about the 1:1 relation of components and quadtrees? I mean to create a separate quad tree for each sortable component? This solution has the highest memory cost but probably the fastest search. But the extra memory consuption is not a big deal IMHO, it's just a couple extra MB at most.

A QuadTree is a storage structure with attention to a partial neighborhood relation. By itself it is totally independent on what kind of objects are stored. Any higher level of abstraction can use (its own instance of) QuadTree to manage its belonging objects. For example, a sub-system that manages the Listener (meaning a simulated hearing) component can check for spatial vicinity by utilizing a QuadTree; the Collision sub-system can manage a set of colliders by utilizing a QuadTree (where a collider itself refers to Collision component); the lighting sub-system manages lights in a QuadTree; and so on. However, in an implementation where separation of concerns are respected, a QuadTree is just an utility used behind the scenes, and there is an instance of QuadTree for each concern. A sub-system provides services on its interface, and whether it used a QuadTree or whatsoever is irrelevant from a clients point of view. Doing this allows to change internal implementations when necessary without impact on the clients.

Or do you want to use the tree for a different purpose?

This tree can be used for selecting the visible objects by the camera or by a point light as well. But of course I'll use the same implementation for collision-detection (when I'll implement one :P)

QuadTree to manage its belonging objects. For example, a sub-system that manages the Listener (meaning a simulated hearing) component can check for spatial vicinity by utilizing a QuadTree; the Collision sub-system can manage a set of colliders by utilizing a QuadTree (where a collider itself refers to Collision component); [...]

So yea, in short, it would be better to make a separate quad tree for each component. And should it be a template class or a class with a generic "QuadTreeElement" container and statically cast when I query the components?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!