• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Naruto-kun

Signal return vector

This topic is 852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

36KEbEy.png

Hi guys

In the attached graphic, I am trying to figure out how much of the signal will return to the source based on signal vector and surface normal.
For the purposes of this example, assume that the horizontal angle between the Z axis and the point from the source is -30°(ie to the left), and that the vertical angle between the Y axis and the point from the source is -15° (ie down). The signal (or "light") is pointing directly at the point. How would I set up the signal vector? I take it this is kindof like calculating the dot product between a vertex point and the view/projection matrix. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Would I be correct in building a 3D rotation matrix based on a light vector length of 1? How would I build this matrix in HLSL? I am already familiar with the float2x2 rotation = {cos, -sin, sin, cos};.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!