• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tom76

Direct3DCreate8 - alternatives?

This topic is 6210 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I used Donuts3D to get started with my game coding, but I have a problem. To create the display objects I have Direct3DCreate8( D3D_SDK_VERSION ) But this surely means that if the game is run on a PC without the directX8 sdk it will not run! Is there another function I can use??? Why do people insist on making programming so damn hard? "I envy you, who has seen it all" "And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..." - Daniel Glenfield 1st October 2001

Advertisement
G''day!

It will only require that DX8 be installed, not the SDK. The ''D3D_SDK_VERSION'' is just there to make sure the right headers/libraries are being used. If (for example) you had the 8.1 SDK installed and wanted to develop for 8.0 compatibility you wouldn''t put ''D3D_SDK_VERSION'' there you''d put ''120'' (don''t ask why, MS dropped the ball on that one).

The short answer is, don''t worry about it.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

Hey thanks Now I just need to work out why my game won''t work on my friend''s PC (I thought that was it). The error just says the hardware can''t be accelerated enough, which I''m not sure about. Oh well.

"I envy you, who has seen it all"
"And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..."
- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!